Problem building Ruby addon with Vista

Julian Harnath

Hello!

I'm currently looking into developing Ruby addons. I'd like to use Windows
Vista with VC++ 2005 as development platform. But I have a problem which
seems to be related to some DLL incompatibility.
My addon is currently empty, it only contains an empty init function. But
as soon as I try to use it I get the following error when trying to run it:

"The procedure entry point "_except_handler4_common" could not be located
in
the dynamic link library MSVCR80.dll"

Searching google for "_execpt_handler4_common" results in various pages
describing similiar problems (although none of them is related to Ruby).
It seems to be some internal execption handler function which is only
present in Vista. I suspect that the "msvcrt-ruby18.dll" which comes with
the Windows build of Ruby is incompatible with the libraries used by
Visual Studio 2005 (SP1) on Vista.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Did anyone successfully compile
a Ruby addon with Vista, and if yes, how?

Luis Lavena

[...]

Yes, msvcrt-ruby18 is build with VC6, which link to MSVCRT.dll
(version 6.0).

to make Ruby MSVCR80.dll -compatible, you need to build ruby by
yourself, also compiling all the ruby dependencies with it, since you
can ran into cross-runtime malloc/free issues and random crashes.

There are a few looong threads you can search on google groups about
this (ruby-talk and ruby-core).
Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Did anyone successfully compile
a Ruby addon with Vista, and if yes, how?

There is a lot of manual hacking in rbconfig.rb to make it work. I
suggest avoid it and use the path I described earlier, or just drop VC
+ 2005 and use MinGW.

Regards,

Luis Lavena