    like in all other win32 extensions.

    Regards,
    Yura.
    Iouri Kloubakov, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Hi,

    "Iouri Kloubakov" <> writes:

    > Building win32ole fails because of this line in extconf.rb:
    > have_header("windows")
    >
    > It should be:
    > have_header("windows.h")
    >
    > like in all other win32 extensions.

    Applied. Thanks.

    --
    eban
    WATANABE Hirofumi, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Iouri Kloubakov

    Kingsley Guest

    Ruby TDD

    Hi

    When doing TDD if there is code that processes data, that comes from a user -
    e.g. logon information.

    Should my code contain tests to check that the information is in the correct
    format etc, or should I do those checks in my tests?

    If I do checks for valid data in my code - do I then need tests that check
    that the code is checking if the user information is of correct format etc.

    If I just put all those types of test in my tests only - It would mean that
    when someone runs the program - there are no checks in place to alert a user
    that they have used invalid user information. - Unless the user runs the
    tests before they run the program !

    I'm still confused

    Thanks

    Kingsley
    Kingsley, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Re: Ruby TDD

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Kingsley wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > When doing TDD if there is code that processes data, that comes from a user -

    I read this as Telecommunications Device for the Deaf at first, but
    I think you mean Test Driven Design. :)

    > e.g. logon information.
    >
    > Should my code contain tests to check that the information is in the correct
    > format etc, or should I do those checks in my tests?

    Unit tests are to check that your code is operating correctly.
    They mainly exist to prove that the program performs as required,
    under specified conditions.
    Tests on your input, to validate it, are not normally part of unit
    testing code. If the specification is a contract, it might be that
    the program should fail spectacularly when given bad input, because
    it is only contracted to work correctly for good input. Thus this
    testing for arbitrary input might not be considered as a unit test.
    Indeed, it should be part of the program itself (if the spec says it
    should handle such input).

    > If I do checks for valid data in my code - do I then need tests
    > that check that the code is checking if the user information is of
    > correct format etc.

    Well, you'd need checks for the validation code, to show that it was
    operating correctly. I think tests in the routines that call this
    would be good to have, also.

    > If I just put all those types of test in my tests only - It would mean that
    > when someone runs the program - there are no checks in place to alert a user
    > that they have used invalid user information. - Unless the user runs the
    > tests before they run the program !

    But the unit tests should be fixed anyway, so they can be run
    automatically as needed, not requiring interaction. So those
    validation of input tests don't belong in the testing harness for
    the program.

    > I'm still confused

    Is this clearer now?

    > Thanks
    >
    > Kingsley

    Hugh
    Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng, Oct 12, 2003
  5. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:56:11 +0900, Iouri Kloubakov <> wrote:

    > Win2K
    > VC++ 6.0
    > Latest stable snapshot of 1.8
    >

    > Building win32ole fails because of this line in extconf.rb:
    > have_header("windows")
    >
    > It should be:
    > have_header("windows.h")
    >
    > like in all other win32 extensions.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Yura.

    Do You use commandline compiler or create a project? It's a little
    annoying to edit the preferences in makefiles and catch all those mistypes.

    Aleksei Guzev
    Aleksei Guzev, Oct 13, 2003