Problem building XMLgawk for Windows

lennyw

Hi

I'm trying to build XMLgawk (latest version 3.1.5 from sourceforge) and
I'm getting some make errors. I'm using the tool availbale from Cygwin
to do the build (gcc, bash, make).

I was able to run ./configure and I assume it ran without errors (at
least there were no error messages on the console at the end of the
run). But I get errors when I do the make. I have included the actual
make output at the end of this email. From the looks of the error file,
and after doing some exploring on the web, my (possibly naive)
conclusion is that the "Makefile" didn't put in a reference to link in
libtermcap.a from c:\cygwin\lib. Evidently libtermcap.a is needed to
negate the compiler's dislike of varargs.h.

The alternative is for me to manually edit the source for some of the
..h files in awk source to substitute references to stdlib.h for
varargs.h references. (Which I don't like to do, since it is a)
stepping on working code, b) because it would be a kludge, c) could be
opening up a bigger can of worms).

I don't currently have the knowledge to edit the Makefile generated by
../config to add a link to libtermcap.a.

I'm hoping you can give me a little assistance. There is no one here
with that sort of expertise; otherwise I would have asked them already.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Here is a quote from a Web reference I found that makes me think that
libtermcap.a would solve this problem:

#error "GCC no longer implements <varargs.h>."
#error "Revise your code to use <stdarg.h>."

Policy currently says:

The include file `<varargs.h>' is provided to suppora)t end-users
compiling very old software; the library `libtermcap' is provided
support the execution of software which has been linked against it
(either old programs or those such as Netscape which are only
available in binary form).

And here is the make output:

make 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-export-dynamic' all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/XMLGawk/xgawk-3.1.5-beta.20060401'
Making all in .
make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/XMLGawk/xgawk-3.1.5-beta.20060401'
source='array.c' object='array.o' libtool=no \ DEPDIR=.deps
depmode=none /bin/sh ./depcomp \
gcc -DDEFPATH="\".:/usr/local/share/xgawk\""
-DDEFLIBPATH="\"/usr/local/lib/xgawk/3.1.5\"" -DSHLIBEXT="\"dll"\"
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGAWK -DLOCALEDIR="\"/usr/local/share/locale\"" -I.
-I. -I. -g -O2 -c array.c
In file included from awk.h:65,
from array.c:43:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/include/varargs.h:4:2: #error "GCC no
longer implements <varargs.h>."
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/include/varargs.h:5:2: #error "Revise
your code to use <stdarg.h>."
In file included from awk.h:156,
from array.c:43:
protos.h:125: error: parse error before "sprintf"
protos.h:125: warning: data definition has no type or storage class In
file included from array.c:43:
awk.h:202: error: parse error before "lose"
In file included from awk.h:224,
from array.c:43:
regex.h:47: error: syntax error before "typedef"
In file included from array.c:43:
awk.h:1164: error: parse error before "va_list"
make[2]: *** [array.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/XMLGawk/xgawk-3.1.5-beta.20060401'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/XMLGawk/xgawk-3.1.5-beta.20060401'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Yours truly,
Lenny Wintfeld

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

I'm trying to build XMLgawk (latest version 3.1.5 from sourceforge) and
I'm getting some make errors. I'm using the tool availbale from Cygwin
to do the build (gcc, bash, make).

this problem is specific to the XMLgawk extension.
I would prefer to discuss it in our mailing list.
You received the email address of our mailing list
in a separate email and I am quite confident that
we can solve the problem there.