Problem compiling 'on-line' ..server experts please

Andrew Thompson

Hey folks,

I have been playing with an on-line compiler
I have hacked out (well, to be truthful, it's
really just a web-based front-end for the
Sun compiler).
http://www.physci.org/javac.jsp?test=on

I would like to catch the compiler ouput
so that if there are errors, I can match them
to the source and show the user where it
went wrong.

The link above shows the page in 'test mode',
on the test page are links to the (don't yell at
me, Sudsy) JSP source, as well as the .java
code in the 'Development' class.

When I run it without trying to catch output
(last red checkbox on test page unchecked)
it seems to work fine, I also tested it off
the local FileSystem and saw output
(hence I do not think it is a problem with
the basic process).

What I am beginning to suspect is that the
server itself does not like writing the output.

Could someone cast an eye over the output
and clarify. I can't make heads-nor-tails of it.

Sudsy

Andrew said:
Hey folks,
The link above shows the page in 'test mode',
on the test page are links to the (don't yell at
me, Sudsy) JSP source, as well as the .java
code in the 'Development' class.

Who's complaining? ;-)
When I run it without trying to catch output
(last red checkbox on test page unchecked)
it seems to work fine, I also tested it off
the local FileSystem and saw output
(hence I do not think it is a problem with
the basic process).

Tested with and without errors, with and without checkbox
selected. Status properly indicated.
So what's the problem?

Andrew Thompson

| Andrew Thompson wrote:
| > Hey folks,
| <snip>
| > The link above shows the page in 'test mode',
| > on the test page are links to the (don't yell at
| > me, Sudsy) JSP source, as well as the .java
| > code in the 'Development' class.
|
| Who's complaining? ;-)

I must update to Sevlets, one of these moments.. :)

| > When I run it without trying to catch output
| > (last red checkbox on test page unchecked)
| > it seems to work fine, I also tested it off
| > the local FileSystem and saw output
| > (hence I do not think it is a problem with
| > the basic process).
|
| Tested with and without errors, with and without checkbox
| selected. Status properly indicated.
| So what's the problem?

Well - f*** me dead! I could _swear_ that
did not work last night. Apparently their is
an idiot at my keyboard..

[ And, yeah, just to be sure it _did_ work, I
went to the server, found output files and
checked they had output in them! ]

Ehh... shrugs. We proceed.

Thanks Sudsy (as well as those other 4 folks
who apparently had a look over it)

:)

Sudsy

Andrew Thompson wrote:
<snip> I must update to Sevlets, one of these moments.. :)

JSPs compile down to servlets. Use either, according to needs.
Both have their place and I'm not in a position to judge when
one or the other should be used: only the person on point can
make that call.
Well - f*** me dead! I could _swear_ that
did not work last night. Apparently their is
an idiot at my keyboard..

I wouldn't disparage someone who makes an honest effort to
assist those posting queries here!
[ And, yeah, just to be sure it _did_ work, I
went to the server, found output files and
checked they had output in them! ]

Ehh... shrugs. We proceed.

Precisely. And learn more as we go along. Ideally we share
that knowledge with others travelling down the same road...
Thanks Sudsy (as well as those other 4 folks
who apparently had a look over it)

You asked politely, we were more than happy to accomodate.
Isn't that what it's all about?

Andrew Thompson

| Andrew Thompson wrote:
| <snip> I must update to Sevlets, one of these moments.. :)
|
| JSPs compile down to servlets. Use either, according to needs.
| Both have their place and I'm not in a position to judge when
| one or the other should be used: only the person on point can
| make that call.

My own reason for wanting to progress
to Servlets may not be that deep, but they are..

a) While I have functionality to format
..java files for the net (rool prity like), I
don't have the same stuff written for html,
let alone the odd combination of html and
java that is in a jsp.

b) It seems that Servlets are the next step
on a natural progression..

c) I want to get better separation between
formatting and functionality. (Which, at the
moment, is rather hap-hazzard)