problem compiling project, classpath in xml ".classpath" "<classpathentry...>"

Discussion in 'Java' started by jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk, Mar 2, 2007.

  1. Guest

    problem compiling project, classpath in xml ".classpath"
    "<classpathentry...>"

    i'm trying to compile a project, it has about 70 jar files. Though it
    may not use all 70.

    I want to compile it from the command line. Though I think it was
    intended to be compiled from some IDE.

    Various parent directories have ".classpath" files

    with contents in xml, such as

    <classpath>.........
    <classpathentry .................>

    There are a few of these files one in each of a number of parent
    directories.

    I'd like to know what these xml files are written for. It's a layer
    over java so it must produce a classpath which it passes to the JVM.

    One option I have is to make a jar file that references all 70 jar
    files in its manifest under Class-Path. Then when compiling the
    program I just reference that one jar file. I've never done anything
    like it but It's something i will try. But really i'd like to only use
    the jar files that are used. And there may be clashes if I load all
    the jars as I would there. Since most of the jars contain packages
    with largely the same paths.

    I'd like to know what would be parsing these .classpath files. It
    looks like it may be some standard thing. I'd like to know if I can
    and I should be able to, turn them into a classpath. Figure out all
    the jar files being used. I suppose I could somehow write something
    to parse them. But I think there must be a program that reads those
    files otherwise how would it run the JVM. I'm hoping it's a standard
    program/tool that does it.

    , Mar 2, 2007

  2. On Mar 2, 1:01 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > problem compiling project, classpath in xml ".classpath"
    > "<classpathentry...>"
    >
    > i'm trying to compile a project, it has about 70 jar files. Though it
    > may not use all 70.

    (big) Uh-huh..

    > I'd like to know what would be parsing these .classpath files.

    ...oh, what? That was the question?

    >From reading (OK - scanning) the text

    above, the best advice I can give you
    is to learn how to use ant, since it
    will be much easier to sort which jars
    are required from within the config.
    file of a tool inteded for building
    complex projects, than by messing about
    with parameters on the command line.

    As an aside, I guess that once you begin
    to understand the ant build tool better,
    all thoughts of doing builds from the
    command line will vanish.

    Building projects is much easier to do
    using ant, whether invoking it from an
    IDE, or the command line, as I commonly
    do.

    HTH

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 2, 2007

    On 2 Mar, 06:15, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 2, 1:01 pm, ""
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > problem compiling project, classpath in xml ".classpath"
    > > "<classpathentry...>"

    > > i'm trying to compile a project, it has about 70 jar files. Though it
    > > may not use all 70.

    > (big) Uh-huh..
    >
    > > I'd like to know what would be parsing these .classpath files.

    > ..oh, what? That was the question?
    >
    > >From reading (OK - scanning) the text

    > above, the best advice I can give you
    > is to learn how to use ant, since it
    > will be much easier to sort which jars
    > are required from within the config.
    > file of a tool inteded for building
    > complex projects, than by messing about
    > with parameters on the command line.
    >
    > As an aside, I guess that once you begin
    > to understand the ant build tool better,
    > all thoughts of doing builds from the
    > command line will vanish.
    >
    > Building projects is much easier to do
    > using ant, whether invoking it from an
    > IDE, or the command line, as I commonly
    > do.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Andrew T.

    I don't know which jar files it uses. Does ant figure that one out?
    Even if it could, it'd still be stumped were there to be 2 jars that
    have the same class at the same path.

    Ideally I need something to parse these xml files. I think they are
    related to Eclipse (edit..find...classpathentry) shows an examples of
    whati i'm dealing with
    http://jmri.sourceforge.net/doc/Technical/Eclipse.html

    But I can do it without it a parser of that sort of thing. I'll look
    into ant. I'll read those .classpath files manually, it won't take SO
    long.
    If it did take that long, I could write my own parser for it, it's
    only xml, it's built to be parsed.

    it's ok

    but if anybody knows of this classpathentry format, if there is
    already something to parse it, that'd be good.

    , Mar 2, 2007