Problem creating Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll a/c csc.exe "not found"

Richard Lionheart

How do I make the changes to environment variables made by vsvars32.bat
persistent?

I have tried to build Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll in a effort to study
some tutorials about web controls. Andrés Cadavid Gómez in
pointed me to the
site where I could get it

I followed the ReadMe.txt instructions. When it came to execute the
installation's build.bat, it failed because "csc.exe" could not be found.

I ran vsvars32.bat in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\Tools by
double-clicking it's name in Windows Explorer. That didn't seem to solve my
"not found" problem. So I checked PATH in Control Panel | System | Env.
vars and nothing changed.

To test further, I ran it in a Command window and then type PATH at the
prompt. As expected, the updated PATH was displayed. However, as I
suspected, PATH as viewed in Control Panel | System remained unchanged.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Richard Lionheart

Hi Pat
Are you setting up IEwebcontrols ASP.NET 1.1 or 2.0

1.1 (or 1.0). I checked the ReadMe and it gave me build numbers it required
for VS and .Net.

I'm really not sure about the precise version because VS/About says it has
..NET 1.0. However Add/Delete Pgms shows that ,NET 1.1 is installed.

I've got a workaround for my vsvars32 persistence problem. I'll post a
separate note about that.

Regards,
Richard

Richard Lionheart

High All,

I added Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Common7\Tools (fully qualified and
using 8.3 equivalents) to PATH.

Then I opened a Command window, made the IE Web Controls directory the
current directory, and then ran build.bat. It reported compiling 42 files
instead that irritating message, "csc.exe could not be found."

However, Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll did not get created apparently.
I searched both hard drives for "WebControls.dll" and found nothing, so
I've still got my main problem.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Pat

Try going to my Blog here i'm sure i blogged how to do it there..
http://spaces.msn.com/members/naijacoder/
Guess u need to edit the buil.bat and specify where it should find the
compiler..
I'm also have some problems with the Treeview control loaded it up on
another server and it refuses to show the correct structure..
Let me know
Patrick

Richard Lionheart

Hi Pat,

I just visited this tread and failed to see my response telling you my
workaround. What I did was:

o Ran vsvars32.bat in a Command window

o Executed a path command and copying the updated path to a text
editor

o Found the 8.3 equivalents of the long names by running, e.g. dir /X
\ and substituting them

o Pasted the updated path back into Start | Control Panel | System,
Environment, Path, Edit

Everything works beautifully now. Thanks for you help in this.

Regards,
Richard