Problem databinding to syscolumns table

cashdeskmac

Hi,

I have a databound DropDownList on my my page and the SelectCommand is
"Select Column1, Column2 FROM Table1". I have autopostback="true" and a
breakpoint in the SelectedIndexChanged eventhandler is hit every time.

I then change the SelectCommand to "SELECT [name], [id] from syscolumns" and
suddenly it doesn't want to play anymore. The DropDownList is populated
without a problem, but when I select a value from the list it does the
postback without raising the SelectedIndexChanged event. It then selects the
first item in the list, not the one I selected. If I click the back button
in my browser it shows the item I selected.

Is there something special about the syscolumns table that causes this to
happen?

I tried creating a brand new page and added the same functionality but it
gave the same results. When I then changed the SelectCommand on this new
page to point to another (user defined) table, it works without a problem.

Please help!

Gregory A. Beamer

[...]

I know of nothing with the syscolumns view that should cause this
behavior, but perhaps there is something with views? You can always
encapsulate the call in a stored procedure and see if that solves the
problem. If so, you found something I am not aware of. The sproc would
look like this:

CREATE PROCEDURE GetSysColumns
AS

SELECT [name], [id] from syscolumns

If I think of anything else, i will post later.

Peace and Grace,