Problem deploying ASP.NET 2.0 project from VS2005

JJ

I'm having problems trying to publish an ASP.NET project from VS2005 and was
hoping to get some pointers in the right direction.

The project works fine from my development system using the internal server
(Cassini).

Then I use Build/Publish Web Site to publish the app to another server. I
specify a URL to where I want it published (http://someserver/MyAppDir).

At the time I first publish, the virtual directory MyAppDir does not exist
on the web server.

Publish does copy over the files, but when I look at the properties on the
virtual directory it creates in IIS and look on the ASP.NET tab, the version
for ASP.NET shows as 1.1.4322. I have to manually change it to 2.0.

Then if I make a change to the app on my system and Publish again, it builds
the project then a message box appears that warns something like "some files
may be deleted" and I can click OK or Cancel. I click OK and the status bar
at the bottom seems to indicate that the app was published. But NO FILES
change on the web server. The only way I can get the updated project over
there is to delete the entire virtual directory via IIS and publish again.

I really don't think this is a problem with the server however - there is
another app on that system that another guy here is working on (in a
different virtual directory) and he can publish to that same web server with
no problem.

I also doubt that it is permissions - I am a domain admin, and they guy who
it works for is not (although he has admin rights on the web server).

So my question is what would cause it to (1) create the virtual dir with
ASP.NET 1.1 as the framework version and (2) why can't I publish changes
once the virtual directory is created?

Mark Fitzpatrick

As to the first one, VS doesn't control this, IIS does. In this case, the
default settings for the web server are to make it a 1.1 app so this is
completely normal.

2) When publishing using http you are using the FrontPage Server Extensions.
Something that may cause a problem is VS and the server extensions aren't
agreeing on the timestamps of the files. You may want to check to see that
your timezone on your computer is set correctly. Sometimes a user will set
the time on their computer, but use the incorrect timezone which can
sometimes mess this up (ie: setting your computer time to 9 pm while living
in New York, but leaving the timezone as PST), causing VS to have issued
determining which is a newer file. Sometimes using FTP can work better,
especially if you want more control over which files you publish.