Problem even with the Hello World

Discussion in 'Java' started by thanat0s, Jun 5, 2010.

  1. thanat0s

    thanat0s Guest

    Hi all,

    To be clear, i'm a brand new newbies in java programming, i just try to
    follow android coding tutorials. and i got already a problem !

    I follow this tuto :
    http://developer.android.com/guide/tutorials/hello-world.html

    And everything run fine, but since i try to use the XML layout problems
    begins. I can't run the application, i c'ant event edit graphicaly the
    layout\main.xml i got

    It seem i miss a library but how, where ?
    hope someone could help me.

    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
    sun.awt.X11.XToolkit
    at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:834)
    at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:826)
    at android.graphics.Paint.updateFontObject(Paint.java:264)
    at android.graphics.Paint.initFont(Paint.java:241)
    at android.graphics.Paint.<init>(Paint.java:213)
    at android.graphics.Paint.<init>(Paint.java:208)
    at android.view.ViewGroup.<init>(ViewGroup.java:276)
    at android.widget.FrameLayout.<init>(FrameLayout.java:75)
    at com.android.layoutlib.bridge.Bridge.computeLayout(Bridge.java:394)
    at
    com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.editors.layout.gle1.GraphicalLayoutEditor.computeLayout(Unknown
    Source)
    at
    com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.editors.layout.gle1.GraphicalLayoutEditor.recomputeLayout(Unknown
    Source)
    at
    com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.editors.layout.gle1.GraphicalLayoutEditor.onConfigurationChange(Unknown
    Source)
    at
    com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.editors.layout.configuration.ConfigurationComposite.onDeviceConfigChange(Unknown
    Source)
    at
    com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.editors.layout.configuration.ConfigurationComposite.onDeviceChange(Unknown
    Source)
    at
    com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.editors.layout.configuration.ConfigurationComposite.access$2(Unknown
    Source)
    at
    com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.editors.layout.configuration.ConfigurationComposite$2.widgetSelected(Unknown
    Source)
    at
    org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:228)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1176)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3493)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3112)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2405)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2369)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2221)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
    at
    org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:493)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at
    org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
    at
    org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at
    at
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
    thanat0s, Jun 5, 2010

  2. thanat0s

    Stefan Ram Guest

    thanat0s <> writes:
    ¯¯¯¯¯??
    >i try to use the XML layout

    A »hello world« program usually does not deal with XML layout.

    public class Main
    { java.lang.System.out.println( "hello world" ); }}

    (not tested.)

    It saved as »Main.java«, compiled with

    javac Main.java

    and run¹ with

    java Main

    when using the Java SE SDK from Oracle.
    Stefan Ram, Jun 5, 2010

  3. thanat0s

    Lew Guest

    On 06/05/2010 08:29 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
    > public class Main
    > { public static void main( final java.lang.String[] args )
    > { java.lang.System.out.println( "hello world" ); }}

    I'm curious, Stefan, why you flout the code conventions and why you bother
    specifying "java.lang." packages.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jun 5, 2010
  4. thanat0s

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 05-06-2010 08:29, Stefan Ram wrote:
    > thanat0s<> writes:
    >> i try to use the XML layout

    > A »hello world« program usually does not deal with XML layout.

    Not as a Java SE console app.

    But maybe an Android app as the poster are trying to write
    do use it.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 5, 2010
  5. Stefan Ram wrote:
    > thanat0s <> writes:
    > ¯¯¯¯¯??
    >> i try to use the XML layout

    > A »hello world« program usually does not deal with XML layout.

    [ SNIP ]

    Look at Android developer resources and see what they suggest as a Hello
    World: http://developer.android.com/resources/tutorials/hello-world.html

    AHS

    --
    The only way to learn a new programming language is by writing programs
    in it.
    Arved Sandstrom, Jun 5, 2010
  6. thanat0s

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, thanat0s wrote:

    > To be clear, i'm a brand new newbies in java programming, i just try to
    > follow android coding tutorials. and i got already a problem !
    >
    > I follow this tuto :
    > http://developer.android.com/guide/tutorials/hello-world.html
    >
    > And everything run fine, but since i try to use the XML layout problems
    > begins. I can't run the application, i c'ant event edit graphicaly the
    > layout\main.xml i got
    >
    > It seem i miss a library but how, where ? hope someone could help me.

    Try an android developer forum. This group mostly deals with programming
    on 'real' computers.

    That said, this problem looks like something is trying to use
    unix-specific AWT operations; are you using a unix platform? Why would
    there be AWT going on inside Eclipse, which uses SWT? This looks like a
    configuration problem. Are you using a supported platform for whatever
    this editor is?

    tom

> [...]
    > org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
    > at
    > org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    > at
    > org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    > at
    > org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
    > at
    > org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    > at
    > at
    > at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
    > at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
    > at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)

    The trouble with eating German cuisine is that 3 days later, you are
    hungry again! -- Graham, uk.food+drink.misc
    Tom Anderson, Jun 5, 2010
  7. thanat0s

    Lew Guest

    Peter Duniho wrote:
    > Maybe for the same reasons that you insist on flogging the code
    > conventions and package declarations?
    >
    > Seriously, get over it. Not everyone is writing code the way you think
    > it has to be written. If it really mattered that much, the compiler
    > would require the code to be formatted in a specific way.

    Hey, I was just wondering. Reasons interest me. So sue me.

    Sheesh.

    Stefan, regardless of what some people might think, I'm not criticizing your
    usage, I truly am just asking after the reasoning behind it.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jun 5, 2010
  8. thanat0s

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:23:58 +0200, thanat0s <>

    >java.lang.NoClassDefFoundErro

    this is one of the toughest errors to track down since it has so many
    possible causes. You have added the complication of Android. You
    might start learning desktop Java first then once you have that under
    your belt, add the Android complication.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/helloworld.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/runerrormessages.html#NOCLASSDEFFOUNDERROR
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Have you ever noticed that any computer search in the movies, is always linear, with, for example, candidate fingerprints flashing up on the screen one after another? The public is still under the delusion that electronic files are microscopic filing cabinets made out of tiny wires or magnetic patches inside the computer. Most lay people are surprised that it is easy for a computer to file things simultaneously by a dozen different schemes, and that they can have any report printed in any number of different sorted orders. With physical files, they are limited to one ordering/access.
    Roedy Green, Jun 5, 2010
  9. thanat0s

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 05-06-2010 12:12, Tom Anderson wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, thanat0s wrote:
    >> To be clear, i'm a brand new newbies in java programming, i just try
    >> to follow android coding tutorials. and i got already a problem !
    >>
    >> I follow this tuto :
    >> http://developer.android.com/guide/tutorials/hello-world.html
    >>
    >> And everything run fine, but since i try to use the XML layout
    >> problems begins. I can't run the application, i c'ant event edit
    >> graphicaly the layout\main.xml i got
    >>
    >> It seem i miss a library but how, where ? hope someone could help me.

    > Try an android developer forum. This group mostly deals with programming
    > on 'real' computers.

    Java on a 1 GHz CPU with 512 MB RAM was a real computer just a few
    years ago.

    > That said, this problem looks like something is trying to use
    > unix-specific AWT operations; are you using a unix platform? Why would
    > there be AWT going on inside Eclipse, which uses SWT? This looks like a
    > configuration problem. Are you using a supported platform for whatever
    > this editor is?

    Android is a Linux kernel.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 5, 2010
  10. thanat0s

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

    > On 05-06-2010 12:12, Tom Anderson wrote:
    >> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, thanat0s wrote:
    >>> To be clear, i'm a brand new newbies in java programming, i just try
    >>> to follow android coding tutorials. and i got already a problem !
    >>>
    >>> I follow this tuto :
    >>> http://developer.android.com/guide/tutorials/hello-world.html
    >>>
    >>> And everything run fine, but since i try to use the XML layout
    >>> problems begins. I can't run the application, i c'ant event edit
    >>> graphicaly the layout\main.xml i got
    >>>
    >>> It seem i miss a library but how, where ? hope someone could help me.

    >> Try an android developer forum. This group mostly deals with programming
    >> on 'real' computers.

    > Java on a 1 GHz CPU with 512 MB RAM was a real computer just a few
    > years ago.
    >
    >> That said, this problem looks like something is trying to use
    >> unix-specific AWT operations; are you using a unix platform? Why would
    >> there be AWT going on inside Eclipse, which uses SWT? This looks like a
    >> configuration problem. Are you using a supported platform for whatever
    >> this editor is?

    > Android is a Linux kernel.

    The APIs and deployment model are different. Your observations are
    interesting but irrelevant.

    tom

    --
    pikachu in front if a tv shouting at the monkey jumping around the
    screen-within-a-screen
    Tom Anderson, Jun 5, 2010
  11. thanat0s

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 05-06-2010 14:17, Tom Anderson wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

    >>> Try an android developer forum. This group mostly deals with programming
    >>> on 'real' computers.

    >> Java on a 1 GHz CPU with 512 MB RAM was a real computer just a few
    >> years ago.
    >>
    >>> That said, this problem looks like something is trying to use
    >>> unix-specific AWT operations; are you using a unix platform? Why would
    >>> there be AWT going on inside Eclipse, which uses SWT? This looks like a
    >>> configuration problem. Are you using a supported platform for whatever
    >>> this editor is?

    >> Android is a Linux kernel.

    > The APIs and deployment model are different. Your observations are
    > interesting but irrelevant.

    I don't know if it is relevant or not.

    But note that both the topics:
    - whether Android phone is real computer
    - whether Android is a Unix platform
    was raised by you.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 5, 2010
  12. thanat0s

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

    > On 05-06-2010 14:17, Tom Anderson wrote:

    >>> Java on a 1 GHz CPU with 512 MB RAM was a real computer just a few
    >>> years ago.

    >>> Android is a Linux kernel.

    >> The APIs and deployment model are different. Your observations are
    >> interesting but irrelevant.

    > I don't know if it is relevant or not.
    >
    > But note that both the topics:
    > - whether Android phone is real computer
    > - whether Android is a Unix platform
    > was raised by you.

    True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
    for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines are
    not actually computers, and from a GUI point of view, which is what was
    under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform. Or do you reckon
    there's an X server in there somewhere?

    tom

    --
    Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.
    Tom Anderson, Jun 6, 2010
  13. thanat0s

    Lew Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:
    > True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
    > for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines are
    > not actually computers, and from a GUI point of view, which is what was
    > under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform. Or do you reckon
    > there's an X server in there somewhere?

    If you meant "X" you should have said "X" and not "UNIX".

    X Windows and UNIX (or UNIX-like) are orthogonal. Or do you reckon that when
    I run X on MS Windows that the latter turns into UNIX?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jun 6, 2010
  14. thanat0s

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, Lew wrote:

    > Tom Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
    >> for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines
    >> are not actually computers, and from a GUI point of view, which is what
    >> was under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform. Or do you
    >> reckon there's an X server in there somewhere?

    > If you meant "X" you should have said "X" and not "UNIX".

    No. I don't believe that would have been as helpful to the OP (if my
    comment was helpful at all), who seems to have a problem related to some
    bit of code running the wrong platform's AWT toolkit - if he hadn't
    realised that himself, simply saying 'X' wouldn't have helped.

    > X Windows and UNIX (or UNIX-like) are orthogonal.

    No. X is the unix window system.

    > Or do you reckon that when I run X on MS Windows that the latter turns
    > into UNIX?

    No. But you are running a port of a unix technology to Windows. You can
    run bash on on Windows - does that mean bash is not a unix program?

    tom

    --
    No hay banda
    Tom Anderson, Jun 6, 2010
  15. thanat0s

    Lew Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:
    > No. But you are running a port of a unix technology to Windows. You can
    > run bash on on Windows - does that mean bash is not a unix program?

    Yes, that is exactly what it means. "bash" is a program. Whether it's a UNIX
    program or MS Windows program or a VMS program depends entirely on the OS on
    which it's running.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jun 6, 2010
  16. On 06/06/2010 01:03 PM, Tom Anderson wrote:
    > No. X is the unix window system.

    Actually, I believe X is more a protocol than a window system. Your
    computer has an X server (or several), and programs (X clients) can
    communicate with it. So a Windows program can just as easily be an X
    client as can a Linux, Solaris, Mac, VMS, etc. program. Similarly, X
    servers pretty much exist for major systems (that includes Windows: see
    Xming et al.). God^H^H^HWikipedia claims that is originally designed for
    thin clients.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Jun 6, 2010
  17. thanat0s

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 06-06-2010 08:19, Tom Anderson wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Arne Vajh?j wrote:

    >>> The APIs and deployment model are different. Your observations are
    >>> interesting but irrelevant.

    >> I don't know if it is relevant or not.
    >>
    >> But note that both the topics:
    >> - whether Android phone is real computer
    >> - whether Android is a Unix platform
    >> was raised by you.

    > True. But the scare quotes around 'real' indicate that i'm not using it
    > for its literal meaning, and so not suggesting that Android machines are
    > not actually computers,

    So what meaning of real were you using?

    > and from a GUI point of view, which is what was
    > under discussion, Android is *not* a unix platform.

    It is a Linux platform and since Linux is not Unix certified
    then it is not a true Unix, but it is sure Unix like.

    > Or do you reckon
    > there's an X server in there somewhere?

    Whether there is an X server or not should not have much to
    do with whether it is Unix or not.

    There are plenty of Unixes that run without X.

    Arne

    PS: Android does not come with X, but smart people have made
    it run on Android.
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 6, 2010
  18. thanat0s

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 06-06-2010 13:03, Tom Anderson wrote:
    >> X Windows and UNIX (or UNIX-like) are orthogonal.

    > No. X is the unix window system.

    It is not.

    X is the windowing system on most Unix'es, some Unix-like OS's
    like Linux and some non-Unix OS's like OpenVMS.

    But on the Unix used most on desktop systems it is an optional
    component (MacOS X).

    X was created to be OS independent.

    >> Or do you reckon that when I run X on MS Windows that the latter turns
    >> into UNIX?

    > No. But you are running a port of a unix technology to Windows.

    No.

    The intention of X is to be platform independent. It is not Unix
    technology. It is standard technology.

    > You can
    > run bash on on Windows - does that mean bash is not a unix program?

    Most will consider bash a Unix program, but people that use bash on
    non Unix (incl. Unix like) platform does it to emulate Unix environment.
    Either because they prefer it or need it for compatibility.

    X was implemented on non-Unix platforms at the same time
    as on Unix platforms and are native GUI on some non-Unix
    platforms.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 6, 2010
  19. thanat0s

    thanat0s Guest

    Hi all, has someone event read fully my question...

    i'm try coding for android platform, i'm on a linux workstation last
    ubuntu. And i got the problem in eclipse ide.. dealing with my X on the PC.

    Is it more clear ?

    I probably choose the wrong channe ;)

    thanat0s, Jun 8, 2010
  20. On 08/06/2010 07:07, thanat0s wrote:
    > Hi all,

    Please don't top-post, it is annoying to many people. If you don't know
    what top-posting is, please read this:

    > has someone event read fully my question...

    Yes, someone has even read your question in full.

    I guess English isn't your first language so we should forgive the
    errors that make it hard to understand what you have written. However,
    effort spent writing clearly should gain you a more informative response.

    Having a zero in your pseudonym doesn't make me hopeful that you will
    even read all the replies conscientiously.

    > i'm try coding for android platform, i'm on a linux workstation last
    > ubuntu. And i got the problem in eclipse ide.. dealing with my X on the PC.
    >
    > Is it more clear ?

    No - what is your "X" on your PC? Is it relevant?

    > I probably choose the wrong channe ;)

    This isn't a channel, this isn't IRC. But yes, there are probably
    support forums for Android developers that have more Android related
    traffic than the comp.lang.java.programmer newsgroup.
    <http://developer.android.com/resources/community-groups.html>

    On the other hand, I know a bit about Java, I own an Android phone, I
    may write an Android App and I read this newsgroup. I wouldn't be
    surprised to see Android related Java programming discussion here, nor
    would I object.

    Problems with the Eclipse IDE specifically, or with the Android plugins
    for Eclipse, are probably off-topic here.

    --
    RGB
    RedGrittyBrick, Jun 8, 2010