Problem executing several layers deep from a service

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by bayxarea-usenet@yahoo.com, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a perl script which is installed as a service - it checks a
    directory state every X seconds and looks for a file with certain
    naming. If this file is found and it contains certain data - then I
    call a function from a module which (several layers down) calls another
    ..pl - then another .bat file ... I can track the status of this right
    up to the point where the system / exec call to the .bat file - and I
    get a failure - it never executes the .bat file.

    The calls from the perl module - all the way through to the .bat file
    and beyond work solidly when I am running an interactive session that
    uses this module.

    Is there some sort of restriction on how many layers (or children) a
    service can execute? It just seems to hit a brick wall. The error
    message back from $? on the system cal is 256 which tells me nothing.

    I have installed this service using my own log in so I don't think
    permissions are an issue.

    Any help is appreciated.

    John

    i can send the code / module / pl / bat files if requested
    , Mar 25, 2005

  2. <> wrote:

    > I have a perl script which is installed as a service

    What is a "service"?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Tad McClellan wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a perl script which is installed as a service

    > What is a "service"?

    I believe that it is the WinNT/XP equivalent of a daemon.
    Jonathan K. Cohen, Mar 25, 2005

    Correct - a service is essentially a daemon - so this question is
    really Win32 specific (Windows XP to be exact) question.
    , Mar 25, 2005

    Try giving it a new instance of the command interpreter when you create
    the process?

    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /C your.bat
    , Mar 25, 2005