Problem executing several layers deep from a service

bayxarea-usenet

I have a perl script which is installed as a service - it checks a
directory state every X seconds and looks for a file with certain
naming. If this file is found and it contains certain data - then I
call a function from a module which (several layers down) calls another
..pl - then another .bat file ... I can track the status of this right
up to the point where the system / exec call to the .bat file - and I
get a failure - it never executes the .bat file.

The calls from the perl module - all the way through to the .bat file
and beyond work solidly when I am running an interactive session that
uses this module.

Is there some sort of restriction on how many layers (or children) a
service can execute? It just seems to hit a brick wall. The error
message back from $? on the system cal is 256 which tells me nothing.

I have installed this service using my own log in so I don't think
permissions are an issue.

Any help is appreciated.

John

i can send the code / module / pl / bat files if requested

bayxarea-usenet

Correct - a service is essentially a daemon - so this question is
really Win32 specific (Windows XP to be exact) question.

robic0

Try giving it a new instance of the command interpreter when you create
the process?

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /C your.bat