Problem getting HEIGHT property of a dynamic table!

Steve Bottoms

Hi, all! Using VB as code-behind in asp.net page...

I have a TABLE control which I'm building dynamically. After the table is
built, I'm trying to retrieve the HEIGHT property of that table
(table.height.value) to be able to dynamically position the next elements on
the form. However, this control property is coming back as -0- every time.
I also try to get the table height with Javascript after-the-fact
(table.style.height), but that returns a blank value.

How can I get the height of the TABLE control AFTER building it, so I know
where to place the next few elements in the flow??? Very frustrating for
something that should be relatively simple...

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jack

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

I think table.style.height is a client side property, so you cant detect it
in server side code. Its also a really bad choice for layout as its so
badly reprepsented in browesers that the use of it at best is typically
flaky.

Think about using panels and DIVs instead adn determine your positioning
relative to the top left (0) of the browser window..

< asp:panel id="Panel1" runat="server" style="POSITION: absolute;
Left:910px; TOP:208px">
< /asp:panel>

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Steve Bottoms

Well, here's the thing: I'm generating a variable number of sections
(currently one row in a table) of variable length (some may be one word,
some may be 1000 words). Each of these blocks (currently generated as
multi-row tables) come one right after another. Using something like a
region with a scroll bar isn't an option. I need to be able to "look" at a
block (right now a table), get it's total on-screen height (which may be
variable: nothing is fixed height), and use that to place the next block of
text/items, which ALSO are variable. I can't use ANYTHING that's of fixed
size, because that's just plain ugly. I'm finding it a bit hard to believe
that this is so difficult.

Does the size of a Panel (never used them except to display fixed-length
text) grow based on the amount of content? Does the Panel have a height
property that can be used to determine the positioning for the next element
underneath it, or does it automatically grow, pushing later elements (Panels
& Labels) further down? Can the Panel display HTML/DHTML (the text may have
HTML; a quick test of a Panel doesn't render HTML)?

This seems like such a simple thing, I can't believe it's not available in
this day and age!! ;-)

Jack