Problem: grey shadow in CSS vertical text

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Marfola Birfola, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. I'm trying to implement bottom-to-top vertical text using CSS attributes
    in IE :
    writing-mode: tb-rl;
    filter: flipv fliph;

    But I have encountered the following: the text is displayed with a grey
    shadow (instead of anti-alias).

    It seems that the problem is caused by the "filter:flip" attribute. Does
    anyone have a work around? (If I write the same text without the
    "filter" attribute, the grey shadow disappears but my text is written
    top-to-bottom!)

    Here's my stylesheet (the example is also attached):

    verticaltext{
    font-family: Arial;
    font-size: 13px;
    font-weight:bold;
    color:#FF9100;
    position:absolute; top:1px; height:90px;
    width: 16px;
    writing-mode: tb-rl;
    filter: flipv fliph;
    }

    and here's the HTML:

    I have also tried to use other CSS3 attributes like:
    block-progression: ttb;
    direction : rtl;

    but they don't seem to work in IE.

    Does someone know how to remove the grey shadow or know of another way
    to implement the bottom-to-top vertical text?

    Attachments:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/1283/test_vt.html

    Marfola Birfola, Jan 11, 2008

  2. Marfola Birfola

    Chris Lowis Guest

    > Does someone know how to remove the grey shadow or know of another way
    > to implement the bottom-to-top vertical text?

    I'm afraid you have the wrong group. This is a group to discuss the
    Ruby programming language. Perhaps you could try one of the on-line
    CSS resources here ? :
    http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning#online

    Chris

    Chris Lowis, Jan 11, 2008