    Anyone have any clues or an example of how this might happen?

    No frames. Just playing around with an idea.

    thanks.

    Richard, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    >Table 1 contains a list of 10 items which I want to remain constantly
    >visible.
    >Each item in it's own cell just for clarification.
    >
    >Below it is Table 2 which contains a short description of something or
    >other.
    >
    >As user clicks on cell3 in table 1, I want table 2 to show other
    >information. Cell5 in table 1 would show yet other items.
    >
    >Anyone have any clues or an example of how this might happen?
    >
    >No frames. Just playing around with an idea.

    Build ten pages.
    Have the same table 1 in all ten of them (include it via a
    pre-processor or SSI to save on the copy and paste).
    Have different contents below the common table (may or may not be
    another table depending on contents).
    Links in table 1 go to pageX.html#table2 where X is the number of the
    page and where there's a <a name="table2"> or id="table2" at the start
    of table2.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    >
    > >Table 1 contains a list of 10 items which I want to remain constantly
    > >visible.
    > >Each item in it's own cell just for clarification.
    > >
    > >Below it is Table 2 which contains a short description of something or
    > >other.
    > >
    > >As user clicks on cell3 in table 1, I want table 2 to show other
    > >information. Cell5 in table 1 would show yet other items.
    > >
    > >Anyone have any clues or an example of how this might happen?
    > >
    > >No frames. Just playing around with an idea.

    > Build ten pages.
    > Have the same table 1 in all ten of them (include it via a
    > pre-processor or SSI to save on the copy and paste).
    > Have different contents below the common table (may or may not be
    > another table depending on contents).
    > Links in table 1 go to pageX.html#table2 where X is the number of the
    > page and where there's a <a name="table2"> or id="table2" at the start
    > of table2.
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks. I have looked at that but would like to avoid duplicating pages.
    If an image can be rotated in a table on the same page, why not text?
    I was thinking of using a function to display the chosen item results, but
    don't know how to work the coding within the function itself.
    such as:
    function choice1 () {

    I have the "java script bible" but it doesn't get into that kind of detail.
    working samples would be nice.

    Richard, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Richard

    Davmagic com Guest

    >From: anom@anom (Richard)
    >Table 1 contains a list of 10 items which I
    >want to remain constantly visible.
    >Each item in it's own cell just for
    >clarification.
    >Below it is Table 2 which contains a short
    >description of something or other.
    >As user clicks on cell3 in table 1, I want
    >table 2 to show other information. Cell5 in
    >table 1 would show yet other items.
    >Anyone have any clues or an example of
    >how this might happen?

    Use JavaScript... have a look at my front page (link below) and View
    Source to see how the effect works near the top of the page when you
    mouseover certain (colored) table cells and get a (text) Image below...
    which is different depending on which cell you mouseover...

    This may not be exactly what you want, but it accomplishes the same type
    of thing!

    Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    INFO 2000 For You
    http://www.davmagic.com

    Davmagic com, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    >> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Table 1 contains a list of 10 items which I want to remain constantly
    >> >visible.
    >> >Each item in it's own cell just for clarification.
    >> >
    >> >Below it is Table 2 which contains a short description of something or
    >> >other.
    >> >
    >> >As user clicks on cell3 in table 1, I want table 2 to show other
    >> >information. Cell5 in table 1 would show yet other items.
    >> >
    >> >Anyone have any clues or an example of how this might happen?
    >> >
    >> >No frames. Just playing around with an idea.

    >> Build ten pages.
    >> Have the same table 1 in all ten of them (include it via a
    >> pre-processor or SSI to save on the copy and paste).
    >> Have different contents below the common table (may or may not be
    >> another table depending on contents).
    >> Links in table 1 go to pageX.html#table2 where X is the number of the
    >> page and where there's a <a name="table2"> or id="table2" at the start
    >> of table2.
    >>

    >Thanks. I have looked at that but would like to avoid duplicating pages.

    Then go for a database solution. One "page" that displays different
    content depending on a variable in the URL.

    >If an image can be rotated in a table on the same page, why not text?

    Would you want to download all the text at once, even if you only
    wanted to look at one out of the ten pages? And what is displayed when
    JavaScript is disabled?

    It can be done quite eaisly with JavaScript. Either by creating new
    text nodes in the DOM or by simply manipulating the CSS display
    property of a block of text (and other methods using proprietary
    properties like innerHTML).

    Steve Pugh, Jul 2, 2003
  6. Richard

    Bagbourne Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message

    > "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message

    constantly

    or

    start

    > > >Thanks. I have looked at that but would like to avoid duplicating

    pages.

    > > Then go for a database solution. One "page" that displays different
    > > content depending on a variable in the URL.
    > >
    > > >If an image can be rotated in a table on the same page, why not text?

    > > Would you want to download all the text at once, even if you only
    > > wanted to look at one out of the ten pages? And what is displayed when
    > > JavaScript is disabled?
    > >
    > > It can be done quite eaisly with JavaScript. Either by creating new
    > > text nodes in the DOM or by simply manipulating the CSS display
    > > property of a block of text (and other methods using proprietary
    > > properties like innerHTML).
    > >
    > > Steve

    > Thanks. It is something close to what I'm looking for.
    > I'll just keep looking around for more kloos.

    You could put an <iframe> in the cell you want to change, and have the link
    direct the results to that.

    Bagbourne, Jul 2, 2003
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message

    > constantly

    something
    > or

    the

    > start

    > pages.
    > > >
    > > > Then go for a database solution. One "page" that displays different
    > > > content depending on a variable in the URL.

    > > > Would you want to download all the text at once, even if you only
    > > > wanted to look at one out of the ten pages? And what is displayed when
    > > > JavaScript is disabled?
    > > >
    > > > It can be done quite eaisly with JavaScript. Either by creating new
    > > > text nodes in the DOM or by simply manipulating the CSS display
    > > > property of a block of text (and other methods using proprietary
    > > > properties like innerHTML).
    > > >
    > > > Steve

    > > Thanks. It is something close to what I'm looking for.
    > > I'll just keep looking around for more kloos.
    > >

    > Try
    > http://porjes.com/hide3.html#d3

    Thanks. Just the ticket.

    Richard, Jul 3, 2003