Problem in Accepting Xml Data in TextBox

Sandeep Singh Sekhon

I am Developing a Web Application in ASP.NET 1.1 with C#.
I want to accept Xml Data with proper tags through Text Box in my page.
But when I press Submit Button to upload the data, it gives me the
following Error

Server Error in '/' Application.

A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (TextBox1="<Property><Propertie...").
Description: Request Validation has detected a potentially dangerous client input value, and processing of the request has been aborted. This value may indicate an attempt to compromise the security of your application, such as a cross-site scripting attack. You can disable request validation by setting validateRequest=false in the Page directive or in the configuration section. However, it is strongly recommended that your application explicitly check all inputs in this case.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpRequestValidationException: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (TextBox1="<Property><Propertie...").

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpRequestValidationException (0x80004005): A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (TextBox1="<Property><Propertie...").]
System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateString(String s, String valueName, String collectionName)
System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateNameValueCollection(NameValueCollection nvc, String collectionName) +99
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() +113
System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod() +69
System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() +47
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +218
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +18
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +179
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +87

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sandeep Singh Sekhon

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

ASP.NET 1.1 added the ValidateRequest attribute to protect your site from
cross-site scripting. For more information on cross-site scripting, you can
refer to following article:

#Cross-site scripting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_site_scripting

By default, request validation is enabled in Machine.config. You can turn
off this feature in web.config:

<system.web>
<pages validateRequest="false" />
</system.web>

Or you can disable request validation on a page-by-page basis:

<%@ Page Language="C#" ValidateRequest="false" %>

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Sandeep Singh Sekhon

Walter said:
Hi,

Thank you for your post.

ASP.NET 1.1 added the ValidateRequest attribute to protect your site from
cross-site scripting. For more information on cross-site scripting, you can
refer to following article:

#Cross-site scripting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_site_scripting

By default, request validation is enabled in Machine.config. You can turn
off this feature in web.config:

<system.web>
<pages validateRequest="false" />
</system.web>

Or you can disable request validation on a page-by-page basis:

<%@ Page Language="C#" ValidateRequest="false" %>

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thanks Wang for your reply. My Application now works with your solution.

Regards,
Sandeep

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Sandeep,

Appreciate your update and response. I am glad to hear that the problem has
been fixed. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!