Problem in getting results on browser ...

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Karuna, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Karuna

    Karuna Guest

    Hi

    Am facing a strange problem wherein I am trying to run some tests
    from browser.

    My work flow goes like this :

    Front-end (HTML/Javascript) - CGI - Back End (Perl scripts).

    From the UI I select few testcases and invoke some
    perl code from CGI script. That testcases would in turn
    will run on a diff machine and return back the result.

    I store all the logs in a logfile and parse it and print
    it as PASSED if I find the string "TEST PASSED" and print
    as FAILED if I find it as "TEST FAILED".

    But problem is I could see only some part of the data on
    the browser after tests have started. It will print few
    lines say "Running Testcase - xxx " which I would have
    printed in CGI code itself before I started running tests
    in the CGI code.

    But once data gets printed on the browser tests would still
    be in running in the background. And I can never see any
    data like "TEST PASSED " or "TEST FAILED" and links to
    LOGS am providing.

    And this happens (sudden exit at browser level) exactly at
    3-4 mins from the time I would have started running tests.

    I dont think its a httpd.conf problem too as I have set reasonably
    long timeout in httpd.conf file.

    Experts please please help me in this.

    regards
    Karuna

    Karuna, Sep 27, 2004

  2. (Karuna) wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > Am facing a strange problem wherein I am trying to run some tests
    > from browser.
    >

    > My work flow goes like this :
    >
    > Front-end (HTML/Javascript) - CGI - Back End (Perl scripts).

    > But problem is I could see only some part of the data on
    > the browser after tests have started. It will print few
    > lines say "Running Testcase - xxx " which I would have
    > printed in CGI code itself before I started running tests
    > in the CGI code.

    Where is that CGI code?

    Surely, you are not claiming that you are outputting to stdout before you
    send headers in your CGI script ... or are you?

    Note that this is most likely a CGI question and not a Perl question.

    > But once data gets printed on the browser tests would still
    > be in running in the background. And I can never see any
    > data like "TEST PASSED " or "TEST FAILED" and links to
    > LOGS am providing.
    >
    > And this happens (sudden exit at browser level) exactly at
    > 3-4 mins from the time I would have started running tests.
    >
    > I dont think its a httpd.conf problem too as I have set reasonably
    > long timeout in httpd.conf file.
    >
    > Experts please please help me in this.

    Honestly, what makes you think we can say antyhing without seing code?
    Write a small, self-contained script that demonstrates your problem. In the
    process, you'll either solve your problem, or end up with code other people
    can help with.

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Karuna

    Joe Smith Guest

    Karuna wrote:

    > And this happens (sudden exit at browser level) exactly at
    > 3-4 mins from the time I would have started running tests.

    Browsers will give up and decide that the server is not responding
    if they don't get any output for 3 minutes. You have to output
    something to keep the browser happy.

    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col20.html
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Sep 28, 2004