Problem in mismatch of .NET Framework Versions

Raj

Hi All,

We are facing problem with .NET framework version. The developer machines
has latest .NET version which is 1.1.4322 and the production server has the
..NET framework version 1.0.3705. So we are facing problem with
compatibility. We are not in a position to upgrade the .NET version on
production server. If anybody can help us in this issue, it will be great
help. The applications which we are trying to deploy are windows services.

Regards,
Rajendra

Raj

The question was, in Visual Studio 2003 how to select the .NET framework 1.0
while compiling the application so that it is compatible to run on the
production server?

Dmytro Lapshyn [MVP]

Hi Raj,

If the server has .NET Framework 1.0, you should install and target the same
version on your development machines. As far as I know, one can make a VS
2003 project explicitly target .NET Framework 1.0 by setting corresponding
project properties.

Patrice

A workaround could be to use the 1.0 command line compiler to create a .NET
1.0 application.

It's likely preferable once the immediate problem is solved to either
upgrade the server or downgrade the developer machine (VS 2002) so that they
match (each version of VS.NET targets a specific framework version).

Scott M.

You can't take 1.1 code and compile with the 1.0 compiler. You can use the
1.1 compiler to tell the code to target the 1.0 framework.

Patrice

I don't see what could prevent to compile source code with the 1.0 compiler
(of course you may have to "downgrade" the code).
This switch (never saw this one, what is the switch ?) would be a better
solution though it's likely better later to match the development and the
final target environment...

TIA for following up.

Scott M.

Well, that's what I mean, you'd have to be sure you downgraded your code to
be 1.0 compatible. I think it would just be better to use VS.NET 03 and
tell it to target the 1.0 framework. It's still compiled with the 1.1
compiler, but targeted to run on the 1.0 Framework.