Problem in Table Width

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rakesh Thakor, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. Hi all,
    I want to scroll a dynamic table inside div. My code is as below,
    <head>
    charset=iso-8859-1" />
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    <!--
    body {
    margin-left: 0px;
    margin-top: 0px;
    margin-right: 0px;
    margin-bottom: 0px;
    }
    table {
    border:#FF0000;
    table-layout:auto;
    width:auto;
    }
    div {
    width:#px;
    overflow:scroll;
    }
    -->

    Can anyone guide me that where is the problem?

    Regards,
    Rakesh

    Rakesh Thakor, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Scripsit Rakesh Thakor:

    > I want to scroll a dynamic table inside div. My code is as below,

    Post the URL, not code. Read the group for a week to understand why.

    Thank you for the bogosity warning.

    > <!--

    More bogosity. Which browsers are you targeting? Netscape 1? And have you
    any idea of what XHTML user agents are allowed to do with comments inside
    style elements?

    > width:#px;

    Huh?

    Bogosity overflow.

    > Can anyone guide me that where is the problem?

    In your design of a page. It simply makes no sense.

    Why would you make a table scrollable when it is the sole content of a div
    that is the sole content of the document? By doing exactly nothing for it,
    you get scroll bars for the page if needed.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 5, 2007

  3. On Jun 5, 1:40 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Scripsit Rakesh Thakor:
    >
    > > I want to scroll a dynamic table inside div. My code is as below,

    > Post the URL, not code. Read the group for a week to understand why.

    > Thank you for the bogosity warning.

    > > <!--

    > More bogosity. Which browsers are you targeting? Netscape 1? And have you
    > any idea of what XHTML user agents are allowed to do with comments inside
    > style elements?
    >
    > > width:#px;

    > Huh?

    > Bogosity overflow.
    >
    > > Can anyone guide me that where is the problem?

    > In your design of a page. It simply makes no sense.
    >
    > Why would you make a table scrollable when it is the sole content of a div
    > that is the sole content of the document? By doing exactly nothing for it,
    > you get scroll bars for the page if needed.
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Hi Jukka,
    I am creating one dynamic application actully Table is divide into
    multiple column and those column will come from database so i do not
    know that how many column will add by user so its dynamic table thats
    why i require horizontal scrollbar.

    CSS Comment is by mistake i think.

    I am approaching IE 6+ browser.

    Your Idea/Suggestion are most welcome.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Regards,
    RK

    Rakesh Thakor, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Rakesh Thakor

    rf Guest

    "Rakesh Thakor" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I want to scroll a dynamic table inside div.

    A, er, dynamic table?

    > My code is as below,

    Don't post code. Post a URL.

    > **********************************************************************************************************
    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://
    > www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

    Use strict for new documents. and HTML 4.01 as well.

    > <title>Untitled Document</title>

    What generated this?

    > <!--

    <!-- has not been needed since last century.

    > border:#FF0000;

    You forgot border-style: border: solid 1px $f00;

    > table-layout:auto;

    table-layout?

    > div {
    > width:#px;

    How many pixels? #? Ah, yes, a "number" of them :)

    > -->

    See above.

    If you are going to use CSS then put ALL the presentational stuff in CSS.

    width='1900'

    px is for CSS, not for presentational stuff in [X]HTML.

    > Can anyone guide me that where is the problem?

    Probably the validator over at http://validator.w3.org/ - it would have
    solved your problems. Well, many of them :)

    However, this does not look like tabular data to me.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 5, 2007
  5. Rakesh Thakor

    Dan Guest

    On Jun 5, 5:14 am, Rakesh Thakor <> wrote:
    > I am creating one dynamic application actully Table is divide into
    > multiple column and those column will come from database so i do not
    > know that how many column will add by user so its dynamic table thats
    > why i require horizontal scrollbar.

    ....which the browser will provide all by itself if you don't interfere
    with its normal operation. By the way, what's the deal with the 1900-
    pixel-wide columns? Do you expect your users to have 10,000-pixel-
    wide monitors?

    > I am approaching IE 6+ browser.

    Whenever an IE browser (any version) approaches, I run really fast
    away from it.

    Maybe some of your users will approach your site with a better
    browser, such as Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera, or Safari.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Jun 6, 2007
  6. Rakesh Thakor

    asdf Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 5, 5:14 am, Rakesh Thakor <> wrote:
    >> I am creating one dynamic application actully Table is divide into
    >> multiple column and those column will come from database so i do not
    >> know that how many column will add by user so its dynamic table thats
    >> why i require horizontal scrollbar.

    > ...which the browser will provide all by itself if you don't interfere
    > with its normal operation. By the way, what's the deal with the 1900-
    > pixel-wide columns? Do you expect your users to have 10,000-pixel-
    > wide monitors?
    >
    >> I am approaching IE 6+ browser.

    > Whenever an IE browser (any version) approaches, I run really fast
    > away from it.

    [snip]

    Me too, but the reality is that most web browsing is still done with IE. No
    choice... you *have* to at least make pages usable/readable in IE, sadly,
    unless you have the luxury of a non-commercial project where the client
    doesn't care if it works for most people or not.

    asdf, Jun 6, 2007
  7. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "asdf" <> writing in

    > Me too, but the reality is that most web browsing is still done with
    > IE. No choice... you *have* to at least make pages usable/readable in
    > IE, sadly, unless you have the luxury of a non-commercial project
    > where the client doesn't care if it works for most people or not.

    I am beginning to see liqht at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. Mind
    you, it's a small web site <http://www.realtybenefitsystems.com/>, whose
    users are coming from Craig's list looking at apartments for rent - but the
    stats for May were 65% IE, 15% Firefox, 15% Safari, and 5% other. These
    are real numbers (not something out of a "web stats" script) from page
    views, not hits.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 6, 2007
  8. Rakesh Thakor

    asdf Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "asdf" <> writing in
    >
    >> Me too, but the reality is that most web browsing is still done with
    >> IE. No choice... you *have* to at least make pages usable/readable in
    >> IE, sadly, unless you have the luxury of a non-commercial project
    >> where the client doesn't care if it works for most people or not.
    >>

    > I am beginning to see liqht at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. Mind
    > you, it's a small web site <http://www.realtybenefitsystems.com/>, whose
    > users are coming from Craig's list looking at apartments for rent - but
    > the
    > stats for May were 65% IE, 15% Firefox, 15% Safari, and 5% other. These
    > are real numbers (not something out of a "web stats" script) from page
    > views, not hits.

    Yup, and even with those (may I suggest) conservative numbers, 65% is still
    "most". ...sadly.

    asdf, Jun 6, 2007
  9. Rakesh Thakor

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9946D9699FED1arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "asdf" <> writing in
    >
    > > Me too, but the reality is that most web browsing is still done with
    > > IE. No choice... you *have* to at least make pages usable/readable in
    > > IE, sadly, unless you have the luxury of a non-commercial project
    > > where the client doesn't care if it works for most people or not.
    > >

    > I am beginning to see liqht at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. Mind
    > you, it's a small web site <http://www.realtybenefitsystems.com/>, whose
    > users are coming from Craig's list looking at apartments for rent - but the
    > stats for May were 65% IE, 15% Firefox, 15% Safari, and 5% other. These
    > are real numbers (not something out of a "web stats" script) from page
    > views, not hits.

    15% Safari? I am starting to feel less like I am in an exclusive
    club now. I do not know if this is good or bad. Who knows how to
    deal with such existential questions? Not me.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 6, 2007
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
    <> writing in

    >> stats for May were 65% IE, 15% Firefox, 15% Safari, and 5% other.
    >> These are real numbers (not something out of a "web stats" script)
    >> from page views, not hits.

    > 15% Safari? I am starting to feel less like I am in an exclusive
    > club now. I do not know if this is good or bad. Who knows how to
    > deal with such existential questions? Not me.

    The other interesting thing about these statistics is that the properties
    are in Glendale, all above Glenoaks, which is the higher priced area of
    the city. Glendale is a city bordering Los Angeles, between Burbank and
    Pasadena. People who work at the studios often rent in that area. I
    live in the "slummy" area below Colorado, where the largest concentration
    of Armenians are, and I like it a lot better because it's more European.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 6, 2007
  11. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > The other interesting thing about these statistics is that the properties
    > are in Glendale, all above Glenoaks, which is the higher priced area of
    > the city. Glendale is a city bordering Los Angeles, between Burbank and
    > Pasadena. People who work at the studios often rent in that area. I
    > live in the "slummy" area below Colorado, where the largest concentration
    > of Armenians are, and I like it a lot better because it's more European.

    Hey, I'm over in North Hollywood. I have a buddy over in Glendale at
    Lexington and Maryland. Another Armenian enclave seems to be over in
    the east side of Hollywood -- I think I've seen a "Little Armenia" sign
    around Hollywood and...uh...maybe a bit east of Gower.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 6, 2007
  12. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    <> writing in

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >
    >> The other interesting thing about these statistics is that the
    >> properties are in Glendale, all above Glenoaks, which is the higher
    >> priced area of the city. Glendale is a city bordering Los Angeles,
    >> between Burbank and Pasadena. People who work at the studios often
    >> rent in that area. I live in the "slummy" area below Colorado, where
    >> the largest concentration of Armenians are, and I like it a lot
    >> better because it's more European.

    > Hey, I'm over in North Hollywood. I have a buddy over in Glendale at
    > Lexington and Maryland. Another Armenian enclave seems to be over in
    > the east side of Hollywood -- I think I've seen a "Little Armenia"
    > sign around Hollywood and...uh...maybe a bit east of Gower.

    Yes, you have, IIRC it's at Bronson. Little Armenia is where the
    Armenians live that aspire to live in Glendale. I have a lot of friends
    who are Armenian, and my son goes to an Armenian preschool. You would
    think after eight years of living in Glendale that I would know some
    Armenian, all I know is Merci (thank you, same as French). Spane
    understands, and I think speaks a little Armenian. Of course at three, a
    lot of things he says sound Armenian.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 6, 2007
  13. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    ><> writing in
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>
    >>> The other interesting thing about these statistics is that the
    >>> properties are in Glendale, all above Glenoaks, which is the higher
    >>> priced area of the city. Glendale is a city bordering Los Angeles,
    >>> between Burbank and Pasadena. People who work at the studios often
    >>> rent in that area. I live in the "slummy" area below Colorado,
    >>> where the largest concentration of Armenians are, and I like it a
    >>> lot better because it's more European.

    >> Hey, I'm over in North Hollywood. I have a buddy over in Glendale at
    >> Lexington and Maryland. Another Armenian enclave seems to be over in
    >> the east side of Hollywood -- I think I've seen a "Little Armenia"
    >> sign around Hollywood and...uh...maybe a bit east of Gower.

    > Yes, you have, IIRC it's at Bronson. Little Armenia is where the
    > Armenians live that aspire to live in Glendale. I have a lot of

    Is there a formal training program? :)

    > friends who are Armenian, and my son goes to an Armenian preschool.
    > You would think after eight years of living in Glendale that I would
    > know some Armenian, all I know is Merci (thank you, same as French).
    > Spane understands, and I think speaks a little Armenian. Of course at
    > three, a lot of things he says sound Armenian.

    I can say "pyrogies". I *think* those are Armenian. I was introduced
    to them at a place across the street from a studio I used to work at on
    Glendale Boulevard. The studios were owned by an Armenian family; in
    addition to normal TV production there, I once did a telethon there for
    sending money to poor Armenian Armenians.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 6, 2007