Problem installing Apache::Test

John Oliver

I'm trying to install Apache::Test via CPAN, and run into:

[warning] running with new config opts: /usr/bin/perl
/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.29/t/TEST -bugreport -verbose=0 -httpd
/usr/sbin/httpd -apxs /usr/sbin/apxs
[warning] root mode: changing the files ownership to 'nobody' (99:99)
[warning] testing whether 'nobody' is able to -rwx
/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.29/t
"/usr/bin/perl" -Mlib=lib -MApache::TestRun -e 'eval {
Apache::TestRun::run_root_fs_test(99, 99,
q[/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.29/t]) }';

[warning] result:
[ error] You are running the test suite under user 'root'.
Apache cannot spawn child processes as 'root', therefore
we attempt to run the test suite with user 'nobody' (99:99).
The problem is that the path (including all parent directories):
/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.29/t
must be 'rwx' by user 'nobody', so Apache can read and write under that
path.

There are several ways to resolve this issue. One is to move and
rebuild the distribution to '/tmp/' and repeat the 'make test'
phase. The other is not to run 'make test' as root (i.e. building
under your /home/user directory).

However, "fixing" /root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.29/ doesn't help
because CPAN removes it and replaces it when I try again.

On top of that, Apache httpd runs as user "apache", not "nobody".

Can I get CPAN to install this properly, or is a manual install the only
way to get it installed?

Keith Keller

[from Apache::Test build]
There are several ways to resolve this issue. One is to move and
rebuild the distribution to '/tmp/' and repeat the 'make test'
phase. The other is not to run 'make test' as root (i.e. building
under your /home/user directory).

Can I get CPAN to install this properly, or is a manual install the only
way to get it installed?

You probably could get CPAN to build it, but it might end up being
more work than doing a ''manual'' install. You already have the
tarball downloaded by CPAN, so just build as a normal user to run
make test. In theory, you could use force install Apache::Test to
install it even though make test fails, if you either don't care
about Apache::Test passing make test, or if you have some other
way of testing Apache::Test.

--keith

John Oliver

[from Apache::Test build]
There are several ways to resolve this issue. One is to move and
rebuild the distribution to '/tmp/' and repeat the 'make test'
phase. The other is not to run 'make test' as root (i.e. building
under your /home/user directory).

Can I get CPAN to install this properly, or is a manual install the only
way to get it installed?

You probably could get CPAN to build it, but it might end up being
more work than doing a ''manual'' install. You already have the
tarball downloaded by CPAN, so just build as a normal user to run
make test. In theory, you could use force install Apache::Test to
install it even though make test fails, if you either don't care
about Apache::Test passing make test, or if you have some other
way of testing Apache::Test.

Well, a user other than root can't install it either...

Can't open perl script "/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.29/t/TEST":
Permission denied.

Even though the other user owns it and has rwx

FWIW, I'm installing it because it's one of the 18 gajillion
requirements or dependencies for RequestTracker. I, personally, don't
care if it works or tests or what... I figure it's likely to be a
dependency of a dependency of a dependency that RT doesn't care about.

What's the quickest, easiest way to just get past this step?

Keith Keller

Well, a user other than root can't install it either...

Can't open perl script "/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.29/t/TEST":
Permission denied.

That's not what I meant. Untar the tarball as a normal user, not in
/root, and run perl Makefile.pl && make && make test. If it passes,
su to root and run make install.
FWIW, I'm installing it because it's one of the 18 gajillion
requirements or dependencies for RequestTracker. I, personally, don't
care if it works or tests or what... I figure it's likely to be a
dependency of a dependency of a dependency that RT doesn't care about.

What's the quickest, easiest way to just get past this step?

As I mentioned, you could always run force install Apache::Test from the
CPAN shell if you don't care about make test passing.

--keith