Problem installing ASPX pages on my local IIS

Lars

Hi

I have an IIS server installed on my local PC and I want to publish my
ASP.NET site to my local webserver. I know the webserver is working since I
can add an index.html file and view in a browser through my no-ip.org domain
name. But when I publish my local Visual Studio 2008 (VS2008) project to my
IIS I can't reach the site at all. I can run the site from within the VS2008
IDE.

Is there any thing I need to add to my IIS. The project in VS2008 includes
thre user groups and two users. Administrators, Accessors and a Public
group. Does this setting require some thing more?

Yours
Lars

Lars

Hi

I manage to get the page viewable

But I still can't use the login form.

I get the following error and I don't know what it means

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Documents and
Settings\Rosoft\Mina dokument\Visual Studio
2008\WebSites\Lesson05\Lesson05\App_Data\dbMusicFiles.mdf failed. A database
with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is
located on UNC share.

I only have one copy of the file dbMusicFiles.mdf

What is UNC Share?

Again: It works when I run the page from within the browser.

Lars

gnewsgroup

Hi

I manage to get the page viewable

But I still can't use the login form.

I get the following error and I don't know what it means

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Documents and
Settings\Rosoft\Mina dokument\Visual Studio
2008\WebSites\Lesson05\Lesson05\App_Data\dbMusicFiles.mdf failed. A database
with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is
located on UNC share.

I only have one copy of the file dbMusicFiles.mdf

What is UNC Share?

Again: It works when I run the page from within the browser.

Lars

To answer only 1 of your questions, a UNC share refers to a shared
folder on a LAN server, which you can get to by

\\the_server_name\the_folder\the_subfolder\

Mark Fitzpatrick

It could very well be a permissions error. ASP.Net will need
read/write/delete permissions to the database to successfully update it.
Chances are, it is only getting read permissions. Use the security tab of
the file's properties panel to ensure the asp.net user has these
permissions.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

Mark Fitzpatrick

Running the site from within VS doesn't really mean anything. VS, by
default, will use a built-in web server that (formerly known as Cassini)
that runs independently of IIS so that users without IIS can still test and
debug apps.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

Rbrt

Yu might to look at the event log on your local machine to see what is in
there as well.

Lars

HI Mark

Yes changing the rights on the site helped but I can't storw the site on the
server root for some howe. The only problem I have now is that I don't get
the database to work on IIS. I have tried to use a different storage
location than the development folder for the site as well as linking IIS to
the actual development storage. I have read threads on the Internet where
some say that it's a bug and there are different solutions but none of the
recomendations help me. I get the error as shown below. I have tried
shutting down Norton Firewall as well as tried to use DMZ in my firewall.
Still the same problem. WHen I try to add a user in SQL Server I fail. I
can't edit the grids that are shown for managing aliases in SQL server. UPon
that the other databases I have installed on my machines doesn't seam to
work from ASP.NET. For example InnoDB, Interbase even though I have ODBC for
them installed. I would like to use a free database like MySQL but no one
seams to know how to set up MySQL to work with ASP.NET.

Here's the error message I get.

Server Error in '/private' Application.

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Documents and
Settings\Rosoft\Mina dokument\Visual Studio
2008\WebSites\Lesson05\Lesson05\App_Data\MP3.mdf failed. A database with the
same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on
UNC share.

Lars

Lars

Hi

After talking to an old friend of mine that I wirked with back in 1995 who
happens to be sort of an expert in ASP.NET. I got some advice. When you get
this type of problem

*)
Make sure you have the user rights proprly set for each user and also the
right security for the folders and files on the homepage.

*)
I also found one thing out my self. The reason I couldn't login on my
homepage location was rather obvious when found out why. Visual Studio 2008
(VS2008) was connected to the local Microsoft SQL Server. At the same time
the homepage tried to access the very same database and that coused the
problem. Once I exit VS2008 I'm able to login and use the database as I
want. Wheater this is a "bug" or a "feature" in Microsoft SQL Server is for
Microsoft to tell.

Hope this can help some one else with the same problem.

Yours
Lars