Problem installing modules on redhat 9 - strange connection problem

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by championsleeper, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    I am trying to install perl modules using CPAN and get some very
    strange errors. Setting the scene:
    - Running RH9
    - Using perl 5.8.0
    - I login as root
    - the cpan archive is in /root/.cpan
    - I can access the internet (using browser, links, dig)
    When I attempt use of CPAN for installing modules the output [end]
    shows that it cannot get information from the sites.

    What is strange is that if I run the command:

    /usr/bin/links -source
    http://cpan.teleglobe.net/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz

    then the file is downloaded.

    When perl runs it as

    sh -c "/usr/bin/links -source
    http://cpan.teleglobe.net/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz" > <some_filename>

    it does not work.

    I'm a bit confused as regards where to go next. I'm not sure but think
    it may be an o/s problem but cannot see anything which could be
    preventing the communicaitons - even with firewall temporarily off.

    I'm going to investigate more and will post any findings I have. Would
    appreciate any advice or pointers people could offer.

    SC

    [root@localhost CPAN]# perl -MCPAN -e shell

    cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.61)
    ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')

    cpan> o conf urllist
    urllist
    http://cpan.teleglobe.net/
    Type 'o conf' to view configuration edit options

    cpan> o conf urllist unshift http://cpan.teleglobe.net/

    cpan> o conf urllist push http://cpan.teleglobe.net

    cpan> install Bundle::CPAN
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok
    Fetching with LWP:
    http://cpan.teleglobe.net/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    LWP failed with code[404] message[Not Found]
    Fetching with LWP:
    http://cpan.teleglobe.net/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    LWP failed with code[404] message[Not Found]
    Fetching with LWP:
    http://cpan.teleglobe.net/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    LWP failed with code[404] message[Not Found]

    Trying with "/usr/bin/links -source" to get
    http://cpan.teleglobe.net/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    Receive timeout

    System call "/usr/bin/links -source
    "http://cpan.teleglobe.net/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz" >
    /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt"
    returned status 1 (wstat 256)
    Warning: expected file [/root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz]
    doesn't exist

    Trying with "/usr/bin/ncftpget" to get
    http://cpan.teleglobe.net/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    NcFTPGet 3.1.5

    Usages:
    ncftpget [flags] remote-host local-dir remote-path-names... (mode
    1)
    ncftpget -f login.cfg [flags] local-dir remote-path-names... (mode
    2)
    ncftpget [flags] ftp://url.style.host/path/name (mode
    3)
    ncftpget -c [flags] remote-host remote-path-name > stdout (mode 4)
    ncftpget -c [flags] ftp://url.style.host/path/name > stdout (mode 5)

    championsleeper, Jan 26, 2005