problem installing mysql gem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Joey Marino, Mar 18, 2009.

  1. Joey Marino

    Joey Marino Guest

    For some reason I can't get mysql gem installed. I have the libmysqlclient
    and mysql-server and mysql-client installed, but it doesn't work. I am
    running ubuntu 8.10. Am I missing a required package I don't know about?
    What am I doing wrong?

    Here is the output:

    joey@lab:~/Projects/rets$ sudo gem install mysql
    ERROR: Error installing mysql:

    /usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb install mysql
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lm... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lz... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lsocket... no
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
    *** extconf.rb failed ***
    necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    details. You may need configuration options.

    When I try to use the --with-mysqlclientlib conf option, I get this output:

    joey@lab:~/Projects/rets$ sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysqlclientlib
    ERROR: Error installing mysql:

    /usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb install mysql -- --with-mysqlclientlib
    checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
    checking for main() in -lm... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
    checking for main() in -lz... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
    checking for main() in -lsocket... no
    checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
    checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
    checking for mysql_query() in -ltrue... no
    *** extconf.rb failed ***
    necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
    details. You may need configuration options

    see how it changes from -lmysqlclient to -ltrue?
    --
    Joey Marino

    Joey Marino, Mar 18, 2009