Problem installing on Cygwin, no C compiler

Peter Vanderhaden

Can anyone help me? I tried installing Ruby on Cygwin with the
following commands:

# Ruby :
tar xvf ruby-1.8.6.tar.gz
cd ruby-1.8.6
/configure
make
make install

The ./configure command produced the following error message:

$ ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking target system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

Does a C compile come with Cygwin? If not, where can I get one so I can
complete the installation?
Thanks....

Nobuyoshi Nakada

Hi,

At Sat, 1 Sep 2007 11:12:18 +0900,
Peter Vanderhaden wrote in [ruby-talk:267018]:
Does a C compile come with Cygwin?

Yes. But it isn't installed by default unless you check
"Devel" category as "Install".

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky