Problem Installing Perl 5.8.7 on Debian Stable

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by James E Keenan, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. I'm experiencing a problem installing Perl 5.8.7 on Debian Stable that
    is similar to a previously reported -- but never fully solved --
    problem.

    In November 2003, reader King reported the following problem when he
    tried to install Perl 5.8.2 on Debian:
    [greatly snipped]
    > # sh Configure -de
    > .
    > You need to find a working C compiler.
    > Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS

    vendor,
    > or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
    > I cannot continue any further, aborting.
    > #

    This error continued even after he followed suggestions by other reader
    and made sure that gcc was installed. Nothing seemed to work until
    finally some magic was tried:

    # apt-get install kernel-package libc6-dev tk8.3 libncurses5-dev
    fakeroot bin86

    But it was not clear why this worked.

    Tonight, I tried to install Perl 5.8.7 on Debian stable. (Tried to do
    so because it only came with Perl 5.8.4 -- and a very skeletal version
    at that.) I got similar errors.

    ### START Configure error message ###
    [snip]
    Checking how to test for symbolic links...
    Your builtin 'test -h' may be broken.
    Trying external '/usr/bin/test -h'.
    You can test for symbolic links with '/usr/bin/test -h'.

    Good, your tr supports [:lower:] and [:upper:] to convert case.
    Using [:upper:] and [:lower:] to convert case.
    /usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    You need to find a working C compiler.
    Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS
    vendor,
    or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
    I cannot continue any further, aborting.
    ### END Configure error message ###

    But I had installed 'gcc' just minutes before trying to run Configure:

    apt-get install gcc

    reported no problems. 'man gcc' DWIMs.

    So: (1) Why am I being told I have no working C compiler?

    (2) Can anyone suggest a workaround? (I'm reluctant to try King's magic
    unless/until I know why it did the trick.)

    Thank you very much.
    jimk
    James E Keenan, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Also sprach James E Keenan:

    > I'm experiencing a problem installing Perl 5.8.7 on Debian Stable that
    > is similar to a previously reported -- but never fully solved --
    > problem.
    >
    > In November 2003, reader King reported the following problem when he
    > tried to install Perl 5.8.2 on Debian:
    > [greatly snipped]
    >> # sh Configure -de
    >> .
    >> You need to find a working C compiler.
    >> Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS

    > vendor,
    >> or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
    >> I cannot continue any further, aborting.
    >> #
    >>

    > This error continued even after he followed suggestions by other reader
    > and made sure that gcc was installed. Nothing seemed to work until
    > finally some magic was tried:
    >
    > # apt-get install kernel-package libc6-dev tk8.3 libncurses5-dev
    > fakeroot bin86
    >
    > But it was not clear why this worked.
    >
    > Tonight, I tried to install Perl 5.8.7 on Debian stable. (Tried to do
    > so because it only came with Perl 5.8.4 -- and a very skeletal version
    > at that.) I got similar errors.

    What do you mean with skeletal? You probably only have perl-base
    installed which contains the interpreter and only an essential subset of
    the standard modules. You also need the packages perl, perl-modules and
    perl-doc to get a complete standard 5.8.4 distribution.

    > ### START Configure error message ###
    > [snip]
    > Checking how to test for symbolic links...
    > Your builtin 'test -h' may be broken.
    > Trying external '/usr/bin/test -h'.
    > You can test for symbolic links with '/usr/bin/test -h'.
    >

    > Good, your tr supports [:lower:] and [:upper:] to convert case.
    > Using [:upper:] and [:lower:] to convert case.
    > /usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory

    crt1.o is contained in the package libc6-dev. If you don't have that
    package installed, the gcc is virtually useless as you cannot compile
    anything useful without the header- and object-files of the libc.

    Of course, if you're lacking something as essential as that I wouldn't
    be surprised if you were also lacking other important packages needed to
    compile perl, such as make or so.

    > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    > You need to find a working C compiler.
    > Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS
    > vendor,
    > or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
    > I cannot continue any further, aborting.
    > ### END Configure error message ###
    >
    > But I had installed 'gcc' just minutes before trying to run Configure:
    >
    > apt-get install gcc
    >
    > reported no problems. 'man gcc' DWIMs.
    >
    > So: (1) Why am I being told I have no working C compiler?
    >
    > (2) Can anyone suggest a workaround? (I'm reluctant to try King's magic
    > unless/until I know why it did the trick.)

    It probably did the trick because it included 'apt-get install
    libc6-dev'.

    Tassilo
    --
    use bigint;
    Tassilo v. Parseval, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
    > [snip]
    > What do you mean with skeletal? You probably only have perl-base
    > installed which contains the interpreter and only an essential subset of
    > the standard modules. You also need the packages perl, perl-modules and
    > perl-doc to get a complete standard 5.8.4 distribution.

    I gathered that. But I figured that if I was going to have to do more
    work to get a functioning 5.8.4, I'd do the work needed to get a
    functioning 5.8.7 instead. And since I was simultaneously and
    successfully building 5.8.7 on my laptop, I figured I'd have no
    problem.

    >[snip]
    > crt1.o is contained in the package libc6-dev. If you don't have that
    > package installed, the gcc is virtually useless as you cannot compile
    > anything useful without the header- and object-files of the libc.
    >
    > Of course, if you're lacking something as essential as that I wouldn't
    > be surprised if you were also lacking other important packages needed to
    > compile perl, such as make or so.
    >
    >[snip]

    > It probably did the trick because it included 'apt-get install
    > libc6-dev'.

    Your hunch was absolutely correct. I installed libc6-dev and was
    thereafter able to run Configure, make, etc. successfully. So now I
    have done my first build of Perl on Debian. Thank you very much.

    jimk
    James E Keenan, Oct 25, 2005