problem linking dll in C++

Brian Su

Hello guys, I would appreciate it if you C++ Gurus could
help me out a little here.

I downloaded some source code from online and I can't compile
it because it requires a .dll file. The author did include the
source code for the .dll file as well.

I'm using Visual C++ so I clicked New -> Win32 Dynamic Link Library.
Then I made a new c/c++ header file and I copied and paste the code
into it. And I also made a new c/c++ source file and copied and paste
the code into it.
After all that I clicked compile then build. It worked fine and it
generated the .dll file, but it didn't generate the .lib file as well

I don't understand how can I link the main program to the .dll file
if it doesn't have the .lib file?

How do I generate the .lib file? and how to link a program to a .dll
file? where should I put the .dll file in and what do I click in V
C++?

I would really really appreciate your feedbacks.
Thanks so much guys.

Brian.

Jeremy Cowles

FYI: the microsoft news server is MSnews.microsoft.com (notice the MS before
news.microsoft.com).

HTH,
Jeremy

John Harrison

Jeremy Cowles said:
FYI: the microsoft news server is MSnews.microsoft.com (notice the MS before
news.microsoft.com).

HTH,
Jeremy

Actually both names work (at least the last time I tried they did).

john