Problem loading strongly named assembly within ASP.NET app

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paul Ingles, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Paul Ingles

    Paul Ingles Guest

    Hi,

    I have an ASP.NET Web Application which uses a number of controls in an
    external strongly named assembly.

    Whenever I view a page that uses one of the controls within the strongly
    named assembly a FileLoadException is thrown, saying that "The located
    assembly's manifest definition with name 'CentaurNet.Web.Controls' does not
    match the assembly reference".

    Here's the most relevant stuff from the stack trace:

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: DisplayName = Company.Web.Controls, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=null
    (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/WEB/Sites/NewDesignPartners/1.0.0
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
    Calling assembly : e0chcp-a, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=null.
    ===

    LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
    partial, or location-based assembly bind).
    LOG: Post-policy reference: Company.Web.Controls, Version=1.0.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/sites_testsite_1.0.0/c5ac8176/c4508797/Company.Web.Controls.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/sites_testsite_1.0.0/c5ac8176/c4508797/Company.Web.Controls/Company.Web.Controls.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WEB/Sites/TestSite/1.0.0/bin/Company.Web.Controls.DLL.
    WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: PUBLIC KEY TOKEN

    The public key remains the same between builds, and the assembly copied to
    the web project directory during VS's build process is the same.

    The really bizarre thing is that the control does appear to get loaded ok,
    the control is also used on the error page and this loads fine -- I can even
    break into the debugger and the control is initialised as it should,
    properties are set correctly etc.

    Any suggestions would be welcome,
    Paul

    Paul Ingles, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Hi Paul,

    We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
    update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."

    Kevin Yu [MSFT], Dec 11, 2004