Problem loading strongly named assembly within ASP.NET app

Paul Ingles

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET Web Application which uses a number of controls in an
external strongly named assembly.

Whenever I view a page that uses one of the controls within the strongly
named assembly a FileLoadException is thrown, saying that "The located
assembly's manifest definition with name 'CentaurNet.Web.Controls' does not
match the assembly reference".

Here's the most relevant stuff from the stack trace:

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Company.Web.Controls, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=null
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/WEB/Sites/NewDesignPartners/1.0.0
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : e0chcp-a, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=null.
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: Company.Web.Controls, Version=1.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/sites_testsite_1.0.0/c5ac8176/c4508797/Company.Web.Controls.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/sites_testsite_1.0.0/c5ac8176/c4508797/Company.Web.Controls/Company.Web.Controls.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WEB/Sites/TestSite/1.0.0/bin/Company.Web.Controls.DLL.
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: PUBLIC KEY TOKEN

The public key remains the same between builds, and the assembly copied to
the web project directory during VS's build process is the same.

The really bizarre thing is that the control does appear to get loaded ok,
the control is also used on the error page and this loads fine -- I can even
break into the debugger and the control is initialised as it should,
properties are set correctly etc.

Any suggestions would be welcome,
Paul

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi Paul,

We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."