Problem loading true-type font with PIL

Christian Stapfer

After switching from Python 2.3 to 2.4 (Enought),
PIL throws an exception that did not occur formerly
(under Python 2.3) when executing

ImageFont.truetype(font, size)

where font = "C:/Windows/Fonts/comic.TTF".

Here is the traceback that results:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Gen\gen.py", line 808, in ?
mylabeler = labeler.Labeler(szNavigFont, iNavigFontSize)
File "E:\Homepage\Gen\labeler.py", line 11, in __init__
self._font = ImageFont.truetype(font, size)
File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\PIL\ImageFont.py", line 202, in
truetype
return FreeTypeFont(filename, size, index, encoding)
File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\PIL\ImageFont.py", line 120, in
__init__
import _imagingft
ImportError: No module named _imagingft

A module seems to be missing: do I have to install something
in addition to PIL in order to be able to load true-type fonts?

Could someone (more knowledgeable than myself as regards PIL
and this true-type font loading business) please point me
in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance,
Christian Stapfer

Christian Stapfer

Christian Stapfer said:
After switching from Python 2.3 to 2.4 (Enought),
^^^^^
I mean: Python Enthought Edition--Python 2.4.3 for Windows,
sorry for that.

I see in the documentation for PIL that an additional
module is needed: but I don't see where I can get
it from. I'd expected that the Python Enthought Edition
--Python 2.4.3 for *Windows* would include that module....

Regards,
Christian STapfer

Christian Stapfer

Christian said:
After switching from Python 2.3 to 2.4 (Enought),
PIL throws an exception that did not occur formerly
(under Python 2.3) when executing

ImageFont.truetype(font, size)

A module seems to be missing: do I have to install something
in addition to PIL in order to be able to load true-type fonts?

<snip/>

Problem "solved" by rudely installing PIL 1.1.5 for Windows and
Python 2.4 from http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
right on top of my existing "Python Enthought Edition--Python
2.4.3 for Windows". This might have destroyed the consistency
of the overall installation, of course. I'm well punished
for installing Enthought Python 2.4.3: Next time I will again
install all packages that I need myself, as I did for Python
2.3, instead of using a prepackaged distribution like Enthought
Python.

Regards (and sorry for having bothered you with my silly
posts about this problem),
Christian Stapfer

Fredrik Lundh

Christian said:
Problem "solved" by rudely installing PIL 1.1.5 for Windows and
Python 2.4 from http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
right on top of my existing "Python Enthought Edition--Python
2.4.3 for Windows". This might have destroyed the consistency
of the overall installation, of course. I'm well punished
for installing Enthought Python 2.4.3: Next time I will again
install all packages that I need myself, as I did for Python
2.3, instead of using a prepackaged distribution like Enthought
Python.

Since the truetype extension is quite popular, and from what I'm told
worked just fine in earlier Enthought releases, this is probably just an
accidental omission. I'm sure the Enthought people will fix this if you
report it to them.

</F>

Robert Kern

Fredrik said:
Since the truetype extension is quite popular, and from what I'm told
worked just fine in earlier Enthought releases, this is probably just an
accidental omission. I'm sure the Enthought people will fix this if you
report it to them.

https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/ticket/864

The person who builds the Enthought Edition releases is out on vacation this
week, so a new release will probably wait until he comes back. In the meantime,
installing Fredrik's binaries on top of ours should work just fine.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Christian Stapfer

Robert said:
https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/ticket/864

The person who builds the Enthought Edition releases is out on vacation
this week, so a new release will probably wait until he comes back. In the
meantime, installing Fredrik's binaries on top of ours should work just
fine.

Great! - if it does. (Your words in God's ear...) Sorry about leaving out
some details about the release I installed. Maybe the following helps?

C:\Python24\Enthought\Doc>python
Python 2.4.3 - Enthought Edition 1.0.0 (#69, Aug 2 2006, 12:09:59) [MSC
v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

Perhaps not. Since I have already deleted the Windows installer, and do not
know of any other way to get Enthought-specific version info, this is all I
can
offer at the moment... (I had downloaded the installer from
http://code.enthought.com/enthon/
on August 31, around 06:00 GMT. I suppose this means that it was
enthon-python2.4-1.0.0.exe, but cannot verify anymore whether it was this
specific installer that I used - or not.)

Best regards and thanks for your reply,
Christian Stapfer