    wrong.

    Thanks,
    Todd
    Leupi, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Leupi

    rf Guest

    "Leupi" <> wrote in message
    news:xhbqj.3490$eD3.3070@trndny05...
    >I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
    >nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested div,
    >almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This happens in
    >Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays it as I want.
    >
    > Could someone please look at what I have
    > (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
    > the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
    > nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
    > wrong.

    Your doctype is running the browsers in quirks mode so all other bets are
    off.

    If you mean the div with the triangle thing then FF is doing it correct. The
    div is floated so it *should* extend below its parent if it is too long to
    fit inside the parent.

    Opera appears to be getting this wrong, probably because of quirks mode.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Leupi

    Mullein row Guest

    On Feb 5, 11:08 pm, Leupi <> wrote:
    > I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
    > nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested
    > div, almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This
    > happens in Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays
    > it as I want.
    >
    > Could someone please look at what I have
    > (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
    > the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
    > nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
    > wrong.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Todd

    I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are asking for
    but is your problem that the logo overlaps the dotted blue line?

    this is what it looks like in safari:
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4637/picture1zb1.png
    Mullein row, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Leupi

    leupi Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "Leupi" <> wrote in message
    >> I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
    >> nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested div,
    >> almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This happens in
    >> Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays it as I want.
    >>
    >> Could someone please look at what I have
    >> (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
    >> the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
    >> nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
    >> wrong.

    > Your doctype is running the browsers in quirks mode so all other bets are
    > off.
    >
    > If you mean the div with the triangle thing then FF is doing it correct. The
    > div is floated so it *should* extend below its parent if it is too long to
    > fit inside the parent.
    >
    > Opera appears to be getting this wrong, probably because of quirks mode.

    I did not realize that floating a nested a div in another div would have
    that effect, that would certainly explain the issue. The look that I
    want is what Opera is showing do I will have to play around with the
    layout some (knowing what I now know...).

    I changed the doctype to:
    I would imagine that that would get it out of quirks mode.

    Thanks for your insight, it was very helpful.

    Thanks,
    Todd
    leupi, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Leupi

    dorayme Guest

    In article <xhbqj.3490$eD3.3070@trndny05>,
    Leupi <> wrote:

    > I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
    > nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested
    > div, almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This
    > happens in Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays
    > it as I want.
    >
    > Could someone please look at what I have
    > (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
    > the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
    > nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
    > wrong.

    If you have time, perhaps look at

    <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Leupi

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Leupi" <> wrote in message
    >I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
    >nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested div,
    >almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This happens in
    >Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays it as I want.
    >
    > Could someone please look at what I have
    > (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise?

    Clear your float
    Nik Coughlin, Feb 6, 2008
  7. Leupi

    Leupi Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <xhbqj.3490$eD3.3070@trndny05>,
    > Leupi <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have the rudimentary beginnings of a site and I am having an issue
    >> nesting a div within a div. The parent div seems to ignore the nested
    >> div, almost as if the nested div were absolutely positioned. This
    >> happens in Firefox and Epiphany, although not in Opera. Opera displays
    >> it as I want.
    >>
    >> Could someone please look at what I have
    >> (http://mysite.verizon.net/leupi5/) and advise? Please keep in mind that
    >> the graphics are crap and I am just starting the design and suddenly got
    >> nailed with this div issue and am a bit confused as to what I am doing
    >> wrong.
    >>

    > If you have time, perhaps look at
    >
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse>

    Thanks for the link, it looks highly informative. I'll definitely spend
    time reading it. I think that I have most of my CSS issues solved on the
    site, now I just need to get the 'design' issues sorted out.

    Thanks everyone for all of the help.

    Todd
    Leupi, Feb 9, 2008