Problem on Debian Linux Installing DBD-mysql

Hal Vaughan

I have just recently switched to Libranet (basically Debian) Linux. I
cannot install the DBD-mysql mod on my system. It needs mysql_config,
which is not part of the mysql packages under Debian (or perhaps it's part
of a mysql package that doesn't look like it has to be installed?). I've
used apt-get to install the libdbd-mysql-perl, but that doesn't seem to
work. I'm not using the MySQL server on this computer, but I am using the
client to connect to MySQL on another system.

What can I do to get Perl working with MySQL on this system and (if anyone
knows) why doesn't Debian include mysql_config in their packages? It seems
like the kind of oversight that never makes it into Debian packaging.

Thanks for any help!

Hal

Guy Smiley

I'm not using the MySQL server on this computer, but I am using the
client to connect to MySQL on another system.

AFAIK, you definately need the server onboard in order to install the
dbd-mysql. I run libranet also and use apt-get like I would if it was a
regular Debian install

apt-get mysql-server
apt-get libdbd-mysql-perl

For more information see:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=mysql&searcho
n=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

Hal Vaughan

Guy said:
AFAIK, you definately need the server onboard in order to install the
dbd-mysql. I run libranet also and use apt-get like I would if it was a
regular Debian install

apt-get mysql-server
apt-get libdbd-mysql-perl

I checked to see if mysql-server was installed -- yep.  I had added
libdbd-mysql-perl myself.  It's still not working.

Was that all you needed to do and is it working for you?

Hal