Problem on reports

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Il Khan, May 3, 2005.

  1. Il Khan

    Il Khan Guest

    Hi, I have an asp application running on a dozen of winXP machines
    configured as kiosks. This application stores its data on a MS access db. I
    have the need to make some reports extracting data from the db, displaying
    them on screen and exporting to rtf.
    I've tried several commercial products, like Crystal Reports, Active Reports
    and others, but one is difficult to integrate in asp, another requires an
    expensive license for each machine (not acceptable for me), considering each
    machine as a website/domain.
    Some requires additional tools, like Visual Basic, but this could be
    acceptable.
    I have also found some tools that allow to easily display datagrids from the
    db, but they are too simple, for example I could easily build a page that
    showed the result of a simple select, but I couldn't find a way to aggregate
    data in a more complex way (I need to make reports where some data for the
    header come from 1 or more tables, and data for the core of the report come
    from multiple tables with the ability to have subreports).
    Anybody knows a tool to solve this problem in an efficient way?
    Thank you a lot

    Il Khan

    Il Khan, May 3, 2005

  2. Il Khan

    Evertjan. Guest

    Il Khan wrote on 03 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Hi, I have an asp application running on a dozen of winXP machines
    > configured as kiosks. This application stores its data on a MS access
    > db. I have the need to make some reports extracting data from the db,
    > displaying them on screen and exporting to rtf.
    > I've tried several commercial products, like Crystal Reports, Active
    > Reports and others, but one is difficult to integrate in asp, another
    > requires an expensive license for each machine (not acceptable for
    > me), considering each machine as a website/domain.
    > Some requires additional tools, like Visual Basic, but this could be
    > acceptable.
    > I have also found some tools that allow to easily display datagrids
    > from the db, but they are too simple, for example I could easily build
    > a page that showed the result of a simple select, but I couldn't find
    > a way to aggregate data in a more complex way (I need to make reports
    > where some data for the header come from 1 or more tables, and data
    > for the core of the report come from multiple tables with the ability
    > to have subreports). Anybody knows a tool to solve this problem in an
    > efficient way?

    Why only simple selects? There are also innerjoins and other joins.

    Learn SQL.

    SQL and ASP can make any "view" [report] you want
    in whatever form you want
    with any dynamic parameter you want.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., May 3, 2005

  3. Il Khan

    Il Khan Guest

    >>Anybody knows a tool to solve this problem in an
    > > efficient way?

    > Why only simple selects? There are also innerjoins and other joins.
    >
    > Learn SQL.
    >
    > SQL and ASP can make any "view" [report] you want
    > in whatever form you want
    > with any dynamic parameter you want.

    I can study some more SQL, of course, but you should read carefully what
    people asks before telling them to learn something.
    Now, I am already doing all the job with SQL and with ASP. The code is full
    of inner joins, left and right joins and so on.
    But I'm looking for a more productive way to do it, since creating reports
    manually requires a lot of time.

    Il Khan

    Il Khan, May 3, 2005
  4. Il Khan

    Evertjan. Guest

    Il Khan wrote on 03 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    >>>Anybody knows a tool to solve this problem in an
    >> > efficient way?

    >> Why only simple selects? There are also innerjoins and other joins.
    >>
    >> Learn SQL.
    >>
    >> SQL and ASP can make any "view" [report] you want
    >> in whatever form you want
    >> with any dynamic parameter you want.

    > I can study some more SQL, of course, but you should read carefully
    > what people asks before telling them to learn something.
    > Now, I am already doing all the job with SQL and with ASP. The code is
    > full of inner joins, left and right joins and so on.
    > But I'm looking for a more productive way to do it, since creating
    > reports manually requires a lot of time.

    Dear Il Khan,

    I read your post carefully, however, if you call innerjoins "simple
    selects", your definition of simple is clearly different from mine.

    Remember you are the pary asking for help, so complaining about the level
    of help on usenet just doesn't do.

    I submit, that the versatility of SQL cum ASP is limitless and the
    constraints of a module that only makes a simple report, would also make
    your SQL developement just as easy.

    Unless you want to have non programming users prepare reports that you
    dont want to bother with.

    Your OQ did not mention third parties however.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., May 3, 2005