Problem on reports

Il Khan

Hi, I have an asp application running on a dozen of winXP machines
configured as kiosks. This application stores its data on a MS access db. I
have the need to make some reports extracting data from the db, displaying
them on screen and exporting to rtf.
I've tried several commercial products, like Crystal Reports, Active Reports
and others, but one is difficult to integrate in asp, another requires an
expensive license for each machine (not acceptable for me), considering each
machine as a website/domain.
Some requires additional tools, like Visual Basic, but this could be
acceptable.
I have also found some tools that allow to easily display datagrids from the
db, but they are too simple, for example I could easily build a page that
showed the result of a simple select, but I couldn't find a way to aggregate
data in a more complex way (I need to make reports where some data for the
header come from 1 or more tables, and data for the core of the report come
from multiple tables with the ability to have subreports).
Anybody knows a tool to solve this problem in an efficient way?
Thank you a lot

Il Khan

Evertjan.

Il Khan wrote on 03 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
[...]

Why only simple selects? There are also innerjoins and other joins.

Learn SQL.

SQL and ASP can make any "view" [report] you want
in whatever form you want
with any dynamic parameter you want.

Il Khan

Anybody knows a tool to solve this problem in an
efficient way?

Why only simple selects? There are also innerjoins and other joins.

Learn SQL.

SQL and ASP can make any "view" [report] you want
in whatever form you want
with any dynamic parameter you want.

I can study some more SQL, of course, but you should read carefully what
people asks before telling them to learn something.
Now, I am already doing all the job with SQL and with ASP. The code is full
of inner joins, left and right joins and so on.
But I'm looking for a more productive way to do it, since creating reports
manually requires a lot of time.

Il Khan

Evertjan.

Il Khan wrote on 03 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Anybody knows a tool to solve this problem in an
efficient way?

Why only simple selects? There are also innerjoins and other joins.

Learn SQL.

SQL and ASP can make any "view" [report] you want
in whatever form you want
with any dynamic parameter you want.

I can study some more SQL, of course, but you should read carefully
what people asks before telling them to learn something.
Now, I am already doing all the job with SQL and with ASP. The code is
full of inner joins, left and right joins and so on.
But I'm looking for a more productive way to do it, since creating
reports manually requires a lot of time.

Dear Il Khan,

I read your post carefully, however, if you call innerjoins "simple
selects", your definition of simple is clearly different from mine.

Remember you are the pary asking for help, so complaining about the level
of help on usenet just doesn't do.

I submit, that the versatility of SQL cum ASP is limitless and the
constraints of a module that only makes a simple report, would also make
your SQL developement just as easy.

Unless you want to have non programming users prepare reports that you
dont want to bother with.

Your OQ did not mention third parties however.