Problem: please help

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hugh Newbury, Jul 2, 2011.

  1. Hugh Newbury

    Hugh Newbury Guest

    Hi:

    I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
    It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
    my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
    you have a look at:

    www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html

    and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
    the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
    in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!

    Any suggestions welcome.

    TIA

    Hugh

    --

    Hugh Newbury

    www.evershot weather.org
    Hugh Newbury, Jul 2, 2011

  2. Hugh Newbury

    idle Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:33:00 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote in alt.html:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
    > It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
    > my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
    > you have a look at:
    >
    > www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html
    >
    > and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
    > the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
    > in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Hugh

    Highlight the 7 then right click, view selection source.

    Are you generating the data dynamically then printing?
    Look to your php file maybe?

    ;)

    --
    idle
    None of us is as good as all of us.
    idle, Jul 2, 2011

  3. Hugh Newbury

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Hugh Newbury <> wrote:
    >Hi:
    >
    >I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
    >It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
    >my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
    >you have a look at:
    >
    >www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html
    >
    >and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
    >the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
    >in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!
    >
    >Any suggestions welcome.

    The W3C HTML validator <http://validator.w3.org/> shows 224 errors on this
    page. Fix the errors and post again if the problem remains.
    Doug Miller, Jul 2, 2011
  4. Hugh Newbury

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:33:00 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
    > It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
    > my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
    > you have a look at:
    >
    > www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html
    >
    > and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
    > the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
    > in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Hugh

    Found the problem.
    Using an editor with line numbers, in line 2105 you show this:

    With the "7" not being in a proper data cell, it shows up before the table
    indicating a syntax error.

    In line 2156 you show </center> which should be moved up to below the

    To make things simpler, you should consider using a PHP array for your
    data.
    Then you could lose all those hand written table cells and use just a few
    lines of script to create them with.
    richard, Jul 2, 2011
  5. Hugh Newbury

    Hugh Newbury Guest

    On 02/07/11 17:34, richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:33:00 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
    >> It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
    >> my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
    >> you have a look at:
    >>
    >> www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html
    >>
    >> and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
    >> the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
    >> in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!
    >>
    >> Any suggestions welcome.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Hugh

    > Found the problem.
    > Using an editor with line numbers, in line 2105 you show this:

    > With the "7" not being in a proper data cell, it shows up before the table
    > indicating a syntax error.
    >
    > In line 2156 you show</center> which should be moved up to below the
    >
    > To make things simpler, you should consider using a PHP array for your
    > data.
    > Then you could lose all those hand written table cells and use just a few
    > lines of script to create them with.

    Thanks all. I've just corrected the "7" for now. Tomorrow I'll have a go
    at the other 5 million things wrong with all my websites!

    Thanks again.

    Hugh
    Hugh Newbury, Jul 2, 2011
  6. Hugh Newbury wrote:

    > Thanks all. I've just corrected the "7" for now. Tomorrow I'll have
    > a go at the other 5 million things wrong with all my websites!

    The first thing you should do is change out the doctype of XHTML
    Strict for HTML 4.01 Transitional. You have not written any XHTML
    coding that I could see; it's all old-style HTML. That alone will
    reduce your number of errors by at least 200 on the proffered page.

    http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 2, 2011