Problem: please help

Hugh Newbury

Hi:

I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
you have a look at:

www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html

and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA

Hugh

idle

Hi:

I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
you have a look at:

www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html

and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA

Hugh

Highlight the 7 then right click, view selection source.

Are you generating the data dynamically then printing?
Look to your php file maybe?

;)

Doug Miller

Hi:

I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
you have a look at:

www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html

and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!

Any suggestions welcome.

The W3C HTML validator <http://validator.w3.org/> shows 224 errors on this
page. Fix the errors and post again if the problem remains.

richard

Hi:

I have a website concerning the weather in my small village in the UK.
It's been running for several years, and I've always been able to solve
my own difficulties. But now I have one I can't begin to understand. If
you have a look at:

www.evershot-weather.org/rain.html

and click on "Rainfall comparison", you see a table of data. Just above
the top border of the table there's a "7" in the centre. It's not there
in the source, and I can't therefore get rid of it!

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA

Hugh

Found the problem.
Using an editor with line numbers, in line 2105 you show this:

With the "7" not being in a proper data cell, it shows up before the table
indicating a syntax error.

In line 2156 you show </center> which should be moved up to below the

To make things simpler, you should consider using a PHP array for your
data.
Then you could lose all those hand written table cells and use just a few
lines of script to create them with.

Hugh Newbury

Found the problem.
Using an editor with line numbers, in line 2105 you show this:

With the "7" not being in a proper data cell, it shows up before the table
indicating a syntax error.

In line 2156 you show</center> which should be moved up to below the

To make things simpler, you should consider using a PHP array for your
data.
Then you could lose all those hand written table cells and use just a few
lines of script to create them with.

Thanks all. I've just corrected the "7" for now. Tomorrow I'll have a go
at the other 5 million things wrong with all my websites!

Thanks again.

Hugh

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Hugh said:
Thanks all. I've just corrected the "7" for now. Tomorrow I'll have
a go at the other 5 million things wrong with all my websites!

The first thing you should do is change out the doctype of XHTML
Strict for HTML 4.01 Transitional. You have not written any XHTML
coding that I could see; it's all old-style HTML. That alone will
reduce your number of errors by at least 200 on the proffered page.

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html