Problem: Process.GetProcessesByName : Couldn't get process information from remote machine

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Dirc, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Dirc

    Dirc Guest

    As part of an ASP.NET application, I am creating an Excel spreadsheet using
    my .NET component.
    On my machine (win2K) I always get a System.InvalidOperationException with
    the message: "Couldn't get process information from remote machine" ... even
    though the machine we are querying is not remote.

    All the assemblies are signed with a strong name key.

    I have tried setting all sorts of permissions, but none seem to work. Does
    anyone know what I need to do to be able to enumerate running proccess from
    my ASP.NET account?

    Details:
    ASP.NET is running in the standard Full Trust configuration.
    CAS policy is normal AllCode => FullTrust.
    ASP.NET user account is standard ASPNET account, with the password
    autogenerated.
    DCOM config is set up to allow full access and launch permissions to the
    ASP.NET account for the Excel application.
    Dirc
    Dirc, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Dirc

    Dirc Guest

    Well.. If I put the ASPNET user into the local Administrators group it
    works... which is kind of what I would expect...

    I obviously don't want the ASPNET account to have full admin rights in the
    production environment, so does anyone know what the specific permission
    that I need to set?

    Dirc, Feb 3, 2005