Problem reloading plug-in catalog in NetBeans 6.7

Jan Paulsen

Hi

I'm running NetBeans 6.7 on an elderly ADM 64-bit box running Ubuntu.
I'm having trouble reloading the plug-in catalog. I am getting the error

Unable to connect to the NetBeans because of
java.net.UnknownHostException: updates.netbeans.org

I have verified that NetBeans is set up to use a direct connection (as
opposed to a proxy), which I guess it should since Ubuntu is said up
that way according to the menu item System::preferences::Network proxy.

The same thing happens with NetBean 6.5.1.

Also, when I first installed the application, the welcome screen did not
display any of the networked information as it is supposed to do.

Any ideas what to do? Things work under my XP partition, but I'd rather
stay (far) away from using that...

Oh, and please point me in the proper directory if I've hit the wrong
newsgroup, sorry and thank you in advance.

Regards,
Jan Paulsen

Jan Paulsen

Jan said:
[...]

Sorry for all the misspellings. I was a bit too fast writing this.
Anyway, I think you get the gist of the problem, even though an
occurence of "said" should've been "set", "ADM" should've been "AMD" and
"directory" should've been "direction". Where's that context-aware
spelling verifier I've been wanting all my life?!?

Regards,
Jan Paulsen

markspace

Jan said:
Unable to connect to the NetBeans because of
java.net.UnknownHostException: updates.netbeans.org

I can't ping "updates.netbeans.org" so I assume that there isn't any
such server. When I reload the catalog, I see a network trace
connecting to 72.5.124.114, which is part of a netblock owned by Sun. I
can't tell if that server has a name or not.

Oh, and please point me in the proper directory if I've hit the wrong
newsgroup, sorry and thank you in advance.

Normally this group is fine, but we don't always have detailed
information on NetBeans or how it works. It sounds to me like you might
have some stale information that NetBeans is using to connect. (This
happened to me once.) Remove all versions of NetBeans and re-install
may be the only answer.

For a better chance at contacting real experts, go to the NetBeans
users' mailing list:

<http://www.netbeans.org/community/lists/top.html>

That's where I ask my really tough NB questions.

John B. Matthews

markspace said:
I can't ping "updates.netbeans.org" so I assume that there isn't any
such server. When I reload the catalog, I see a network trace
connecting to 72.5.124.114, which is part of a netblock owned by Sun.
I can't tell if that server has a name or not.

FWIW:$ host updates.netbeans.org
updates.netbeans.org is an alias for dlc.sun.com.
dlc.sun.com has address 72.5.124.114

The host ignores pings, but it's responding to URL's in Plugins >
Settings.
Normally this group is fine, but we don't always have detailed
information on NetBeans or how it works. It sounds to me like you
might have some stale information that NetBeans is using to connect.
(This happened to me once.) Remove all versions of NetBeans and
re-install may be the only answer.

I've had some luck just removing the preferences, ~/.netbeans* on my
platform. Of course, that entails no small effort if one has many custom
settings.
For a better chance at contacting real experts, go to the NetBeans
users' mailing list:

<http://www.netbeans.org/community/lists/top.html>

That's where I ask my really tough NB questions.

Agreed.

Jan Paulsen

John said:
FWIW:$ host updates.netbeans.org
updates.netbeans.org is an alias for dlc.sun.com.
dlc.sun.com has address 72.5.124.114

The host ignores pings, but it's responding to URL's in Plugins >
Settings.

I've had some luck just removing the preferences, ~/.netbeans* on my
platform. Of course, that entails no small effort if one has many custom
settings.

Agreed.

Thanks, guys. I'm now a happy subscriber to the (quite active) nbusers
mailing list. I solved the problem by simply removing etc/netbeans.conf.
This, in turn, gave other problems, which I could solve. If I had to do
it again, I would probably spend more time researching netbeans.conf.
Anyway, things are running now. The origin of the problem seems to be an
import of NetBeans 6.5 settings, which had the same problem.

Regards,
Jan Paulsen

Jan Paulsen

Jan said:
Thanks, guys. I'm now a happy subscriber to the (quite active) nbusers
mailing list. I solved the problem by simply removing etc/netbeans.conf.
This, in turn, gave other problems, which I could solve. If I had to do
it again, I would probably spend more time researching netbeans.conf.
Anyway, things are running now. The origin of the problem seems to be an
import of NetBeans 6.5 settings, which had the same problem.

Regards,
Jan Paulsen

At least I thought it was working, but the error came creeping back in.
I finally found out that the problem is in etc/netbeans.conf, where the line

netbeans_jdkhome="/home/jan/SDK/jdk"

was the culprit. As it turns out, everything seems to be working fine
with this line commented out (guessing that NetBeans is using the
environment variables in that case), so I'm just going to leave it at
that unless I hear strong arguments against it. Jeez, getting to that
UML plug-in has taken its while...

Regards,
Jan Paulsen