    I the comment length is more that 1249 bytes, then the progress bar of the
    browser will move too slow and then displaying that the page not found!!!!

    If the message is less than or equal to 1249 then no problem.

    Ammar, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Ammar,

    how are you storing the comment ?
    Please post the code you use to store the comment.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    =====================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    Hello Juan,

    The problem not in the code.

    The logfile of the web server contains Protocol-Status 400,

    Now I have a computer that contains a static IP that is listed in the IP
    Pool of ISP firewall, and that computer is working without any problem.

    Do you think that installing SP1 of the framework V 1.1 will solve the
    problem.
    I think that it is a configuration problem.

    Thanks a lote.

    Regards,

    Ammar, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Ammar,

    to repeat your statements :

    > If the comment length is more that 1249 bytes, then displaying that the
    > page not found!!!!

    >> If the message is less than or equal to 1249 then no problem.

    If it is "a configuration problem", as you say,
    why does it work for messages less than 1249 bytes ?

    Shouldn't it, in that case, *never* work ?

    RFC 2616 says that 400 Bad Request means that
    "the request could not be understood by the server
    due to malformed syntax".

    Are you modifying the headers ?
    Or adding too many characters to the querystring ?

    Please post the coding methods you use to store/retrieve
    the comments if you want me to be able to try to help you.

    I cannot help you by remote osmosis.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    =====================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    I'd like 1st of all to thank you.
    The code is:

    Private Sub sendComment_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.ImageClickEventArgs) Handles sendComment.Click
    If PostName.Value.Length = 0 OrElse PostBody.Value.Length = 0 OrElse
    PostTitle.Value.Length = 0 Then
    Response.Redirect("/FeedBack.aspx?Page=AddComment&Status=incorrect")
    Exit Sub
    End If
    Dim ds As DataSet
    Dim Articleid As Int64
    ds = DataCon.GetDataset("Select * from articles where ArticleID=" +
    CleanRequest(Request.QueryString("v")).ToString + "")
    Articleid = CInt(ds.Tables(0).Rows(0)("ArticleID"))
    ds = Nothing
    If AddArticlePost(Articleid, stripTag(PostBody.Value),
    stripTag(PostTitle.Value), stripTag(PostName.Value)) Then
    LogArticlePropertiy(Articleid, , , 1)
    Response.Redirect("/FeedBack.aspx?Page=AddComment&Status=correct")
    End If
    End Sub

    1st IF statment check if the length of the 3 fields are not equal to zero
    DataCon is a public class that handels all DB functions.
    GetDataSet is a method that accepts a SQL St. and return a dataset [in this
    case we need the article id]
    AddArticlePost is the method that will insert into the database a new record
    that represents the comment.

    Now in case that AddArticlePost run without a problem then we will Call
    another method to increase number of comments that hase been posted of this
    article, then we will redirect the end user to a feedback page.

    The problem is that the code is running from only one comuter that its IP is
    listed in the IP Pool of the Firewall of the ISP,
    and also the code is running from any computer in case that the comment body
    is less than 1250 bytes.
    and the code was working without any problem just 5 days ago.

    Best regards,

    Ammar, Feb 12, 2005
  6. re:
    > I'd like 1st of all to thank you.

    No problem. I enjoy doing this... :)

    OK...

    I'm assuming that this is a typo in the post,
    but not a typo in your code :
    LogArticlePropertiy(Articleid, , , 1)

    That is really "LogArticleProperty(Articleid, , , 1)", right ?

    Then,

    1. Is the problem limited to the *display* of the comments ?
    Or do the comments get inserted in the db ?

    If the comments do not get inserted in the db, then

    2. Check your comments field size in the db
    Make sure it's set to more than 1249 bytes.

    3. In FeedBack.aspx, what is the
    "Page=AddComment" parameter good for ?

    4. Could you post the relevant code ( not all )
    for FeedBack.aspx ?

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    =====================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    Thanks a lote Juan,
    LogArticlePropertiy is very simple method that will connect to the database
    and increase the number that represents number of comments that belong to
    that article.

    Now this function is working without any problem.

    In case that the comment is passed, then we will redirect the end user to a
    feed back page.

    The feed back page is too simple. It Acceps URL Parameters [For example
    Page, Status] Couse the feedback is a general Page for feeding back the end
    user.
    So when the Page=AddComment and the Status is Correct, then the page will
    display only that the comment hase been recived and thank the end user.

    Dear Juan... The code of the Feedback is:
    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Select Case Request.QueryString("Page")
    Case "AddComment"
    If Request.QueryString("Status") = "correct" Then
    FeedBackString.Text = "thank you message"
    ElseIf Request.QueryString("Status") = "incorrect" Then
    FeedBackString.Text = "an error message"
    End If
    Case "ContactUs"
    If Request.QueryString("Status") = "correct" Then
    FeedBackString.Text = "thank you message"
    ElseIf Request.QueryString("Status") = "incorrect" Then
    FeedBackString.Text = "an error message"
    End If
    'TODO Feed the end user about the status of adding his or
    here email
    End Select
    End Sub

    You can see that the code is too simple.

    Now about the size of the field that represents the body of the comment: it
    is of type ntext. So no problem about the size.
    Also in case that the comment is too big then the browser's after 10 min.
    will respond and telling that the server not found!!!!!

    FYI. nothing in that case will be writen to the databse>

    Now the question is: why evry things was running without any problem [5 days
    ago] and now I am facing this problem.?

    I have checked the host computer [web server], the web.config, IIS, the
    logfile, and evry things, and I did not see any change.

    Maybe it is a firewall problem. or a router problem. I don not know

    It is a post method problem, not a get method problem.

    You know where is the problem? [The problem is that I am only a web
    developer but I am not a web Administrator].:)

    Thank you.

    Ammar, Feb 12, 2005