Problem resizing columns in HTML table

Pete Davis

First of all, I'm not real experienced with HTML or ASP.NET. I'm doing my
first ASP.NET app.

I'm working in VS.NET, and I'm laying out my controls in HTML tables. It
seems that every once in a while, VS.NET will decide it doesn't want to
allow me to resize the columns by dragging them anymore. This happened once
before and I somehow managed to fix it. I now have a form that I damn near
completed and now it's gone into this mode. Whenever I place the cursor on a
vertical column divider, it gives me the up/down/left/right arrows (control
mover) that when I click, causes the the entire table to be selected.

My table is now in a very ugly state, but I'm so far through it, I'd hate to
have to start over and re-layout everything. Is there a simple fix for this?

Thanks.

Pete

S. Justin Gengo

Pete,

I would get familiar with table layout from the code side of html.

If you go to the html view of the page you should be able to fix everything
up from there (if you understand what you're looking at).

www.htmlgoodies.com has some great free tutorials for getting started and
has a great tutorial on tables in particular. I think this might be the
fastest way to get the knowledge you'll need to fix up your situation.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

Pete Davis

Thanks for your help. I don't know why it took me so long to think of this,
but simply closing the form and reopening it fixed the problem.

As for the other poster, dealing with large tables in HTML is a pain,
especially when you need to resize 5 or 6 columns. I don't mind going in to
tweak individual cells, but for layout, doing it in the designer is
definitely preferable.

Pete

Steven Campbell

Pete said:
First of all, I'm not real experienced with HTML or ASP.NET. I'm doing my
first ASP.NET app.

I'm working in VS.NET, and I'm laying out my controls in HTML tables. It
seems that every once in a while, VS.NET will decide it doesn't want to
allow me to resize the columns by dragging them anymore. This happened once
before and I somehow managed to fix it. I now have a form that I damn near
completed and now it's gone into this mode. Whenever I place the cursor on a
vertical column divider, it gives me the up/down/left/right arrows (control
mover) that when I click, causes the the entire table to be selected.

My table is now in a very ugly state, but I'm so far through it, I'd hate to
have to start over and re-layout everything. Is there a simple fix for this?

Thanks.

Pete

IMO, you should stay away from using tables for layout. Use CSS
positioning instead, which is much easier once you get the hang of it.
See www.csszengarden.com for examples.

MS News \(MS ILM\)

Steven
Can you please provide an example?
I am looking for a table example converted to a CSS example to see and learn
Thanks for you help

Steven Campbell

MS said:
Steven
Can you please provide an example?
I am looking for a table example converted to a CSS example to see and learn
Thanks for you help

See http://www.csszengarden.com/ for examples. This site is very good
at demonstrating how CSS can be used to achieve a wide variety of
positioning and styles that look very very different, but use the same
basic html page.