problem running Convert::ASN1 on Windows XP

yawnmoth

I installed ActivePerl on Windows and placed the contents of the lib
directory in <http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/
Convert/ASN1.pod> into a local folder. I then created a file -
test.pl - whose contents are identical to those at <http://
search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/Convert/
ASN1.pod#SYNOPSYS> and... I get the following error when I try to run
"perl test.pl":

7 string
Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at Convert/ASN1/
IO.pm line 73.

My directory structure is as follows:

test.pl
Convert\ASN1.pm
Convert\ASN1.pod
Convert\ASN1\_decode.pm
Convert\ASN1\_encode.pm
Convert\ASN1\Debug.pm
Convert\ASN1\IO.pm
Convert\ASN1\parser.pm

Any ideas?

A. Sinan Unur

yawnmoth said:
I installed ActivePerl on Windows and placed the contents of the lib
directory in <http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/
Convert/ASN1.pod> into a local folder. I then created a file -
test.pl - whose contents are identical to those at <http://
search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/Convert/
ASN1.pod#SYNOPSYS> and... I get the following error when I try to run
"perl test.pl":

7 string

The first part (up to the second use line) is a stand alone script
and this output shows that it ran.
Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at Convert/ASN1/
IO.pm line 73.

The second part of the synopsis:

use Convert::ASN1 qw:)io);

$peer = asn_recv($sock,$buffer,0);
$nbytes = asn_read($fh, $buffer);
$nbytes = asn_send($sock, $buffer, $peer);
$nbytes = asn_send($sock, $buffer);
$nbytes = asn_write($fh, $buffer);
$buffer = asn_get($fh);
$yes = asn_ready($fh)

is not a standalone script. These are just examples of functions
exported when the :io export group is requested.

See http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/Convert/ASN1.pod#IO_Functions

See http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/GBARR/Convert-ASN1-0.22/examples/
for examples.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/

A. Sinan Unur

This is a bad idea. Either install Convert::ASN1 using PPM, or install
Strawberry Perl instead of ActivePerl and use CPAN.

Ooops, I missed that part. To the OP, the module installs fine using

ppm install Convert::ASN1

from the command line.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/

Franken Sense

In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of yawnmoth Did Inscribe:
My directory structure is as follows:

test.pl
Convert\ASN1.pm
Convert\ASN1.pod
Convert\ASN1\_decode.pm
Convert\ASN1\_encode.pm
Convert\ASN1\Debug.pm
Convert\ASN1\IO.pm
Convert\ASN1\parser.pm

Any ideas?

I just know that activestate is really touchy about where it expects to
find things.

C:\Perl\site\lib>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 942A-AD55

Directory of C:\Perl\site\lib

05/12/2009 11:05 PM <DIR> .
05/12/2009 11:05 PM <DIR> ..
02/13/2009 01:09 AM <DIR> Acme
05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> auto
02/20/2009 05:59 PM <DIR> Bundle
02/20/2009 05:59 PM <DIR> Data
01/30/2009 10:06 PM <DIR> DateTime
03/09/2009 02:23 AM <DIR> Devel
03/09/2009 02:23 AM <DIR> Email
03/09/2009 03:28 AM <DIR> HTML
02/21/2009 03:15 AM <DIR> HTTP
03/09/2009 01:52 AM <DIR> Mail
03/09/2009 02:23 AM <DIR> Module
02/13/2009 01:15 AM 1,425 perl4.lnk
01/23/2007 04:15 PM 31 sitecustomize.pl
05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> Sub
05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> Test
05/12/2009 11:05 PM 0 text63.txt
05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> Tree
02/20/2009 06:14 PM <DIR> WWW
3 File(s) 1,456 bytes
17 Dir(s) 60,465,082,368 bytes free

This is where it expects to find these modules, but ...

C:\Perl\site\lib>cd ..

C:\Perl\site>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 942A-AD55

Directory of C:\Perl\site

12/29/2008 10:34 PM <DIR> .
12/29/2008 10:34 PM <DIR> ..
12/03/2008 06:29 PM <DIR> bin
05/11/2009 01:30 AM <DIR> etc
05/12/2009 11:05 PM <DIR> lib
0 File(s) 0 bytes
5 Dir(s) 60,464,713,728 bytes free

C:\Perl\site>cd ..

C:\Perl>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 942A-AD55

Directory of C:\Perl

05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> .
05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> ..
05/12/2009 11:09 PM <DIR> bin
12/03/2008 06:29 PM <DIR> eg
05/11/2009 01:30 AM <DIR> etc
05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> html
12/03/2008 06:29 PM <DIR> lib
12/29/2008 10:34 PM <DIR> site
0 File(s) 0 bytes
8 Dir(s) 60,464,611,328 bytes free

C:\Perl>

.... there are other folders named site and lib.

--
Frank

And by the way, a few months ago, I trademarked the word 'funny.' So when
Fox calls me 'unfunny,' they're violating my trademark. I am seriously
considering a countersuit.
~~ Al Franken, in response to Fox's copyright infringement lawsuit