problem running Convert::ASN1 on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by yawnmoth, May 24, 2009.

  1. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    I installed ActivePerl on Windows and placed the contents of the lib
    directory in <http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/
    Convert/ASN1.pod> into a local folder. I then created a file -
    test.pl - whose contents are identical to those at <http://
    search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/Convert/
    ASN1.pod#SYNOPSYS> and... I get the following error when I try to run
    "perl test.pl":

    7 string
    Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at Convert/ASN1/
    IO.pm line 73.

    My directory structure is as follows:

    test.pl
    Convert\ASN1.pm
    Convert\ASN1.pod
    Convert\ASN1\_decode.pm
    Convert\ASN1\_encode.pm
    Convert\ASN1\Debug.pm
    Convert\ASN1\IO.pm
    Convert\ASN1\parser.pm

    Any ideas?
    yawnmoth, May 24, 2009

  2. yawnmoth <> wrote in news::

    > I installed ActivePerl on Windows and placed the contents of the lib
    > directory in <http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/
    > Convert/ASN1.pod> into a local folder. I then created a file -
    > test.pl - whose contents are identical to those at <http://
    > search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/Convert/
    > ASN1.pod#SYNOPSYS> and... I get the following error when I try to run
    > "perl test.pl":
    >
    > 7 string

    The first part (up to the second use line) is a stand alone script
    and this output shows that it ran.

    > Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at Convert/ASN1/
    > IO.pm line 73.

    The second part of the synopsis:

    use Convert::ASN1 qw:)io);

    $peer = asn_recv($sock,$buffer,0);
    $nbytes = asn_read($fh, $buffer);
    $nbytes = asn_send($sock, $buffer, $peer);
    $nbytes = asn_send($sock, $buffer);
    $nbytes = asn_write($fh, $buffer);
    $buffer = asn_get($fh);
    $yes = asn_ready($fh)

    is not a standalone script. These are just examples of functions
    exported when the :io export group is requested.

    See http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/Convert/ASN1.pod#IO_Functions

    See http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/GBARR/Convert-ASN1-0.22/examples/
    for examples.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/
    A. Sinan Unur, May 24, 2009

  3. Ben Morrow <> wrote in news:dc7oe6-ak3.ln1
    @osiris.mauzo.dyndns.org:

    > Quoth yawnmoth <>:
    >> I installed ActivePerl on Windows and placed the contents of the lib
    >> directory in <http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/
    >> Convert/ASN1.pod> into a local folder.

    > This is a bad idea. Either install Convert::ASN1 using PPM, or install
    > Strawberry Perl instead of ActivePerl and use CPAN.

    Ooops, I missed that part. To the OP, the module installs fine using

    ppm install Convert::ASN1

    from the command line.

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, May 24, 2009
  4. In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of yawnmoth Did Inscribe:

    > My directory structure is as follows:
    >
    > test.pl
    > Convert\ASN1.pm
    > Convert\ASN1.pod
    > Convert\ASN1\_decode.pm
    > Convert\ASN1\_encode.pm
    > Convert\ASN1\Debug.pm
    > Convert\ASN1\IO.pm
    > Convert\ASN1\parser.pm
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I just know that activestate is really touchy about where it expects to
    find things.

    C:\Perl\site\lib>dir
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 942A-AD55

    Directory of C:\Perl\site\lib

    05/12/2009 11:05 PM <DIR> .
    05/12/2009 11:05 PM <DIR> ..
    02/13/2009 01:09 AM <DIR> Acme
    05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> auto
    02/20/2009 05:59 PM <DIR> Bundle
    02/20/2009 05:59 PM <DIR> Data
    01/30/2009 10:06 PM <DIR> DateTime
    03/09/2009 02:23 AM <DIR> Devel
    03/09/2009 02:23 AM <DIR> Email
    03/09/2009 03:28 AM <DIR> HTML
    02/21/2009 03:15 AM <DIR> HTTP
    03/09/2009 01:52 AM <DIR> Mail
    03/09/2009 02:23 AM <DIR> Module
    02/13/2009 01:15 AM 1,425 perl4.lnk
    01/23/2007 04:15 PM 31 sitecustomize.pl
    05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> Sub
    05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> Test
    05/12/2009 11:05 PM 0 text63.txt
    05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> Tree
    02/20/2009 06:14 PM <DIR> WWW
    3 File(s) 1,456 bytes
    17 Dir(s) 60,465,082,368 bytes free

    This is where it expects to find these modules, but ...

    C:\Perl\site\lib>cd ..

    C:\Perl\site>dir
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 942A-AD55

    Directory of C:\Perl\site

    12/29/2008 10:34 PM <DIR> .
    12/29/2008 10:34 PM <DIR> ..
    12/03/2008 06:29 PM <DIR> bin
    05/11/2009 01:30 AM <DIR> etc
    05/12/2009 11:05 PM <DIR> lib
    0 File(s) 0 bytes
    5 Dir(s) 60,464,713,728 bytes free

    C:\Perl\site>cd ..

    C:\Perl>dir
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 942A-AD55

    Directory of C:\Perl

    05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> .
    05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> ..
    05/12/2009 11:09 PM <DIR> bin
    12/03/2008 06:29 PM <DIR> eg
    05/11/2009 01:30 AM <DIR> etc
    05/09/2009 01:08 AM <DIR> html
    12/03/2008 06:29 PM <DIR> lib
    12/29/2008 10:34 PM <DIR> site
    0 File(s) 0 bytes
    8 Dir(s) 60,464,611,328 bytes free

    C:\Perl>

    .... there are other folders named site and lib.

    --
    Frank

    And by the way, a few months ago, I trademarked the word 'funny.' So when
    Fox calls me 'unfunny,' they're violating my trademark. I am seriously
    considering a countersuit.
    ~~ Al Franken, in response to Fox's copyright infringement lawsuit
    Franken Sense, May 24, 2009