    {
    System.out.println("Hello World!");

    But this failed to run. What shold I do now? Kindly guide me.
    Umesh, Sep 1, 2007

  2. Umesh

    Christian Guest

    Umesh schrieb:
    > I'm absolutely new to java. I just installed Java2SDKSE50.exe and
    > tried to run the following program:
    >
    > class Application
    > {
    > public static void main(String args[])
    > {
    > System.out.println("Hello World!");
    >
    > But this failed to run. What shold I do now? Kindly guide me.

    could you describe what you did in order to run it?
    Christian, Sep 1, 2007

  3. Umesh wrote:
    > I'm absolutely new to java. I just installed Java2SDKSE50.exe and
    > tried to run the following program:
    >
    > class Application
    > {
    > public static void main(String args[])
    > {
    > System.out.println("Hello World!");
    >
    > But this failed to run. What shold I do now? Kindly guide me.

    <URL:http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html>

    Somewhere down there there is a page that will solve your problem (I'm
    pretty sure you made a newbie-mistage). For pedagogical reasons I will
    *not* tell you which page it is. ;)

    Another tip for future questions:
    <URL:http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

    regards
    /W
    Wildemar Wildenburger, Sep 1, 2007
  4. Umesh

    Umesh Guest

    > could you describe what you did in order to run it?

    i installed JAVA 2 PLATFORM STANDARD EDITION DEVELOPMENT KIT 5.0

    in the command line i typed the following:

    F:\>java Application.java
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Application/
    java
    Umesh, Sep 1, 2007
  5. Umesh

    Lew Guest

    Umesh wrote:
    >> could you describe what you did in order to run it?

    > i installed JAVA 2 PLATFORM STANDARD EDITION DEVELOPMENT KIT 5.0
    >
    > in the command line i typed the following:
    >
    > F:\>java Application.java
    > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Application/
    > java

    Java is a compiled language, meaning that you have to run that program in two
    steps.

    First you have to compile the program into a .class file, which contains
    bytecode, something like object code for the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

    f:\> javac Application.java

    Because your class is in the current directory (f:\ in your example), you must
    make sure that "." (current directory) is in your class path to run the .class
    file that just resulted. Fortunately, the default class path is exactly ".",
    so we can ignore that for now.

    Now you use java, but it runs a /class/, not a /file/. In other words, do not
    do this:

    # WRONG: java Application.class

    The .class file defines a class simply called "Application":

    java Application

    or, with the class path explicitly specified:

    java -classpath . Application

    If you go to http://java.sun.com there are links there to tutorials and other
    wonderful stuff.

    http://www.mindprod.com has a good set of pages for newbies.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Sep 1, 2007
  6. Umesh

    Christian Guest

    Umesh schrieb:
    >> could you describe what you did in order to run it?

    > i installed JAVA 2 PLATFORM STANDARD EDITION DEVELOPMENT KIT 5.0
    >
    > in the command line i typed the following:
    >
    > F:\>java Application.java
    > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Application/
    > java

    you should read a beginner tutorial for java to get you started..
    as a hint: java source files need to be compiled
    Christian, Sep 1, 2007