Problem running first program

Umesh

I'm absolutely new to java. I just installed Java2SDKSE50.exe and
tried to run the following program:

class Application
{
public static void main(String args[])
{
System.out.println("Hello World!");

But this failed to run. What shold I do now? Kindly guide me.

Christian

Umesh said:
I'm absolutely new to java. I just installed Java2SDKSE50.exe and
tried to run the following program:

class Application
{
public static void main(String args[])
{
System.out.println("Hello World!");

But this failed to run. What shold I do now? Kindly guide me.
could you describe what you did in order to run it?

Wildemar Wildenburger

Umesh said:
I'm absolutely new to java. I just installed Java2SDKSE50.exe and
tried to run the following program:

class Application
{
public static void main(String args[])
{
System.out.println("Hello World!");

But this failed to run. What shold I do now? Kindly guide me.

<URL:http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html>

Somewhere down there there is a page that will solve your problem (I'm
pretty sure you made a newbie-mistage). For pedagogical reasons I will
*not* tell you which page it is. ;)

Another tip for future questions:
<URL:http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

regards
/W

Umesh

could you describe what you did in order to run it?

i installed JAVA 2 PLATFORM STANDARD EDITION DEVELOPMENT KIT 5.0

in the command line i typed the following:

F:\>java Application.java
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Application/
java

Lew

Umesh said:
i installed JAVA 2 PLATFORM STANDARD EDITION DEVELOPMENT KIT 5.0

in the command line i typed the following:

F:\>java Application.java
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Application/
java

Java is a compiled language, meaning that you have to run that program in two
steps.

First you have to compile the program into a .class file, which contains
bytecode, something like object code for the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

f:\> javac Application.java

Because your class is in the current directory (f:\ in your example), you must
make sure that "." (current directory) is in your class path to run the .class
file that just resulted. Fortunately, the default class path is exactly ".",
so we can ignore that for now.

Now you use java, but it runs a /class/, not a /file/. In other words, do not
do this:

# WRONG: java Application.class

The .class file defines a class simply called "Application":

java Application

or, with the class path explicitly specified:

java -classpath . Application

If you go to http://java.sun.com there are links there to tutorials and other
wonderful stuff.

http://www.mindprod.com has a good set of pages for newbies.

Christian

Umesh said:
i installed JAVA 2 PLATFORM STANDARD EDITION DEVELOPMENT KIT 5.0

in the command line i typed the following:

F:\>java Application.java
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Application/
java
you should read a beginner tutorial for java to get you started..
as a hint: java source files need to be compiled