Problem sending emails through AOL connection

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve Thurston, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm attempting to send emails for the first time using ASP.NET, so I'm
    hoping there's just a beginner's error going on here for me. But my
    emails aren't reaching their destination, and I don't know why.

    My "development" machine is just my home machine. I'm connected to
    the Internet via an AOL dialup connection.

    I am running on XP Pro and my IIS server is (apparently) configured
    correctly to allow my home machine to send emails:
    IP Address: (All Unassigned)
    Relay restrictions: All except the list below (list is blank)

    (I don't leave that relay restrictions on that setting, since that
    apparently exposes my server to spammer hijacking.)

    My test webpage reports that the email is sent. My antivirus software
    would seem to confirm this, since it scans it as it's being sent.

    And yet it never reaches it's destination. I've tried to send it to
    an AOL account and a Yahoo account, with no luck.

    Does AOL block this sort of thing? Or can anyone think why this is
    happening, or what I can investigate to find out more information?

    My ASP.NET code is as follows:

    <%@ page language="vb" %>

    <%@ import namespace="System.Web.Mail" %>

    <script runat="server">
    sub Page_Load()
    Dim objEmail as New MailMessage()
    objEmail.To = "(My AOL account)"
    objEmail.From = "(My real website account)"
    objEmail.Subject = "Test E-mail"
    objEmail.Body = "This is a test!"

    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "localhost"

    try
    SmtpMail.Send(objEmail)
    catch objError as Exception
    ' Display error details
    outError.innerHTML = "<u><b>Error while trying to mail
    outError.innerHTML += objError.Message & "<br>"
    outError.innerHTML += "<b>Error reported by:</b> " &
    objError.Source
    end try
    end sub
    </script>

    <form id="theForm" runat="server">
    </form>

    Steve Thurston, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Steve Thurston

    Hermit Dave Guest

    do you have iis smtp server installed ? if yes have you configured it to
    relay the messages to aol's smtp server ? or say yahoo's smtp server ?
    you need to configure the relay or set up your own domains smtp before you
    can use localhost...

    --
    Regards,
    HD

    Hermit Dave, Jan 18, 2004

  3. I've heard that AOL has effectively blocked ports 110 and 25 for third party
    mail server use. You might want to ask their support if that is the case.

    http://www.corp.aol.com/contact.html

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jan 19, 2004
  4. Hi, Dave,

    In trying to get the answers to your questions, I seem to have fixed
    the problem, although I admit I'm not entirely certain how.

    I *believe* the problem I had was that my machine wasn't in a default
    domain (under System --> Computer Name --> Network ID). After taking
    care of that, emails seem to work now. I never had to point my SMTP
    service to AOL's SMTP server. I guess it just knows.

    Thanks for your response,

    Steve Thurston

    Steve Thurston, Jan 19, 2004