Problem sending XML over SSL

Sam

Hi All,

I have to send XML string to a remote site app, say,
https://blah.blah.com/xmlproc.cgi. I am using the following code:

private string SendRequest(string sRequest)
{
WebClient oWc = new WebClient();
oWc.Headers.Add("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
byte[] bReq = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes(sRequest);
byte[] bRsp = oWc.UploadData("https://blah.blah.com/xmlproc.cgi", "POST",
bReq);
return Encoding.ASCII.GetString(bRsp);
}

But the site always responds with "No XML Passed" in it's response. The site
works for sure as I have a test app (no source) that can send the same XML
and get a valid response. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance
Sam

Dan Rogers

Hi,

In the debugger, are you sure there is a valid XML payload in the byte
array you are passing in your FORM post? Is the web service on the other
end expecting a FORM post? Most web services don't expect data in a form
field. Is the remote application a SOAP based web service?

Regards

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------

Sam

I did try with "text/xml" with the same result. I know that the test
application in which the xml works is a delphi app using the Indy HTTP
control to do a post of the data. Assuming it is SOAP based and I cannot
send data in a form field, what are the options I have?

Thanks
Sam

From: "Sam" <$@M>
Subject: Problem sending XML over SSL
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:47:06 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

[...]

Hi Sam,

I think if it were me, I'd ask the owners of the remote web service for
their WSDL file, and then generate a proxy as my first step in calling
their service. If what they have is a hand-coded, non-standard XML
reader/writer, the problem gets a lot harder. You really are delving at
this point into understanding the wire format and protocol requirements for
invoking a remote call. If you can get specifics on what is required, it
will save a lot of time spent guessing what it could be. If it is a web
service, it should have a WSDL file available.

I hope this helps,

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation