Problem setting up heroku: "Unable to verify SSL certificate forapi.heroku.com"

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Max Williams, May 8, 2011.

  1. Max Williams

    Max Williams Guest

    Hi all. I'm trying to deploy a test app up to heroku. I've got a
    github account, set up with keys (ie i can do ssh ok).
    I've set up a heroku account on heroku.com. I'm following the tutorial
    here:

    http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/quickstart

    and am at step 3. I do "heroku create" and get the prompts for my
    heroku username and password. I enter these, and then get the following
    back:

    >> WARNING: Unable to verify SSL certificate for api.heroku.com
    >> To disable SSL verification, run with HEROKU_SSL_VERIFY=disable

    I've googled for this warning and can't see anything about it anywhere.
    I then googled the HEROKU_SSL_VERIFY option and found this page which
    talks about "piggyback ssl". But this is talking about adding ssl to an
    app, and i don't even have any apps yet.

    Step 2 in that tutorial says "You will need to generate a public SSH key
    and upload it to Heroku. ". I don't know how to do this - would this be
    done automatically as part of the failing step 3 above?

    Basically i'm confused and stuck. Any ideas anyone?
    thanks, max

    Max Williams, May 8, 2011

  2. On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Max Williams
    <> wrote:
    > Hi all. =A0I'm trying to deploy a test app up to heroku.

    > Step 2 in that tutorial says "You will need to generate a public SSH key
    > and upload it to Heroku. ". =A0I don't know how to do this ...

    prompt% heroku help
    keys # show your user's public keys
    keys:add [<path to keyfile>] # add a public key
    keys:remove <keyname> # remove a key by name (user@hos=
    t)
    keys:clear # remove all keys

    HTH,
    --=20
    Hassan Schroeder ------------------------
    twitter: @hassan
    Hassan Schroeder, May 8, 2011

  3. Max Williams

    Max Williams Guest

    Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #997393:
    > On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Max Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hi all. I'm trying to deploy a test app up to heroku.

    >> Step 2 in that tutorial says "You will need to generate a public SSH key
    >> and upload it to Heroku. ". I don't know how to do this ...

    > prompt% heroku help
    > keys # show your user's public
    > keys
    > keys:add [<path to keyfile>] # add a public key
    > keys:remove <keyname> # remove a key by name
    > (user@host)
    > keys:clear # remove all keys
    >
    > HTH,

    Thanks Hassan, but i get the same warning when i try to do any of the
    above "keys" actions as well.

    Max Williams, May 8, 2011
  4. On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Max Williams
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks Hassan, but i get the same warning when i try to do any of the
    > above "keys" actions as well.

    mmm. What OS/version of SSL are you using?

    What happens if you open a browser to https://api.heroku.com ?

    --
    Hassan Schroeder ------------------------
    twitter: @hassan
    Hassan Schroeder, May 8, 2011
  5. Max Williams

    Max Williams Guest

    Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #997400:
    > On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Max Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Hassan, but i get the same warning when i try to do any of the
    >> above "keys" actions as well.

    > mmm. What OS/version of SSL are you using?

    OS is Ubuntu 9.10
    i have openssl installed, the version for that is "openssl version
    OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007" - is that what you meant?

    > What happens if you open a browser to https://api.heroku.com ?

    That seems fine - i'm still logged in like i was on the non ssl version
    of the page.

    I've managed to sort it out i think, by opening a new rvm, downloading
    an old version of the heroku gem (with `gem install heroku -v "<2.0.0"`)
    and doing heroku create in there. This let me upload my public key (i
    had a choice of three - id_rsa.pub, id_dsa.pub and identity.pub, maybe
    this was confusing it)?

    Then when i went back to my app (and its associated rvm, which had the
    most recent version of the heroku gem installed) i was able to do heroku
    create, and the other stuff, ok. Kind of odd that i had to go back to
    an older gem just to upload my public key though - would still like to
    know what the problem was even though it's not as pressing any more.

    Max Williams, May 8, 2011
  6. On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Max Williams
    <> wrote:

    > Then when i went back to my app (and its associated rvm, which had the
    > most recent version of the heroku gem installed) i was able to do heroku
    > create, and the other stuff, ok. =A0Kind of odd that i had to go back to
    > an older gem just to upload my public key though - would still like to
    > know what the problem was even though it's not as pressing any more.

    Good that you got past it, but you should open a ticket with Heroku --
    I've seen a Heroku gem update break something (unrelated to this issue)
    that previously worked, and it got corrected after I opened a ticket and
    documented the problem.

    FWIW,
    --=20
    Hassan Schroeder ------------------------
    twitter: @hassan
    Hassan Schroeder, May 8, 2011
  7. Max Williams

    Max Williams Guest

    Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #997407:
    > On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Max Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Then when i went back to my app (and its associated rvm, which had the
    >> most recent version of the heroku gem installed) i was able to do heroku
    >> create, and the other stuff, ok. Kind of odd that i had to go back to
    >> an older gem just to upload my public key though - would still like to
    >> know what the problem was even though it's not as pressing any more.

    > Good that you got past it, but you should open a ticket with Heroku --
    > I've seen a Heroku gem update break something (unrelated to this issue)
    > that previously worked, and it got corrected after I opened a ticket and
    > documented the problem.
    >
    > FWIW,

    Yeah, i'll do that. Thanks a lot - max

    Max Williams, May 8, 2011