Problem solved - sort of

George Morrone

Well, not actually solved. I just started over and now apparently
everything is OK. I got the following error message when attempting to
install VS:

error 1327 - invalid drive Z:\

Some investigation showed that many registry entries refered to Z:\
and in particular SQL Server seemed implicated. (I'd never mapped a Z
drive letter.) SQL Server would not uninstall (error dialogs kept
referring to that danged non-existent Z drive,) so I just did a clean
installation of W2K3 Server (reformatted the hard drive,) installed VS
..Net 2003, and SQL Server 2000 with service pack 3. They all seem
happy enough with each other now, and I was finally able to create and
run an ASP.Net application on the remote server.

Regards,

George Morrone

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi George,

I am glad to know that everything works now after reinstalling windows.
Although reinstalling is not the best solution, sometimes it is the most
efficient workaround for some complicated problems which are difficult to
reproduce. Thank you for your understanding.

If the same problem occurs again in the future, please feel free to post it
here again. We will monitor this forum every business day.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
<MCSD>
This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.