Problem to call an mp3 file from a swf file

Steph

Hello,

I have a flash file (accueil.swf) that calls an mp3 file (the_song.mp3) to
load a song when the swf animation is launched.
Both files are stored on the same root directory (in my PC and onto the web
server).

When i click directly on the swf file right on the directory from my PC, the
animation works and the song is correctly loaded (we hear the song).

When i launch from my web server the script below that is supposed to do the
same thing, the animation works but the song is not loaded (so no song is
launched).

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0"
width="170" height="240">
<param name="movie" value="accueil.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="accueil.swf" quality="high"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="170" height="240"></embed>
</object>

Can someone explain me why ?

Many thanks in advance
Steph

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:24:24
GMT Steph scribed:
[...]

Maybe on the server the swf is looking at the actual _root_, not your
site's hypothetical "root folder". Try replacing the_song.mp3 with an
absolute url.

cwdjrxyz

[...]

I would not use the swf file to call the song if I wanted it to play
every time the flash file is called. Rather I would make the song an
audio part of a flv for a flv/swf. When you encode the flash, you can
select both a video file to encode for flash and a mp3 file to be
encoded as the audio part of the flv. If the video file already has
audio, you can select to replace it with another audio file. Don't
forget that the flv is the media part (audio/video) and and the swf is
only the player container for the flash, and it is of small byte size
compared to the flv.. You only link to the swf in the html code.
However, either on your computer on your server. both the flv file and
the container swf file should be in the same directory. When you
encode it usually is assumed that both files will be used in the same
directory. When you call for the swf container, it automatically looks
for the flv file in the same directory and downloads it to the
temporary cache of the browser. You can encode to start downloading
the flv at once or only when you use a start button on the swf player
container you encode.

Steph

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:24:24
GMT Steph scribed:

Maybe on the server the swf is looking at the actual _root_, not your
site's hypothetical "root folder". Try replacing the_song.mp3 with an
absolute url.

That could be an idea indeed. I'll check and let you know ...

Steph

cwdjrxyz said:
[...]

I'm not an expert on flv file. So i'm not sure to have well understood your
advice.
Is it possible to provide me with an example so that i can more precisely
understand ?

Travis Newbury

When i click directly on the swf file right on the directory from my PC, the
animation works and the song is correctly loaded (we hear the song).

When i launch from my web server the script below that is supposed to do the
same thing, the animation works but the song is not loaded (so no song is
launched).

Depending on the version you are publishing with you can trap the load
error and see exactly why it is not loading. I believe actionscript
has supported "try" since version 7

Also check the location flash "believes" it is in. If run from an LMS
this is not always where you think it is.

cwdjrxyz

"cwdjrxyz" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de (e-mail address removed)...

I'm not an expert on flv file. So i'm not sure to have well understood your
advice.
Is it possible to provide me with an example so that i can more precisely
understand ?

Here is an example of a flv/swf at http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/Fatty.php
. The flv file is about 22 MB for this rather long video. The swf
container file is only about 12 KB. As I mentioned, the flv must be in
the same directory on the server or computer as the swf container
file. If you view the source code, you will not see the flv
referenced, because this is done within the swf file. The flv file is
at http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/Fatty.flv. It can be played alone
without the swf container file only if you have a flv player. The
video was captured and edited in high resolution mpeg2 format as is
often done before burning a DVD. The video has very old sound. When I
encoded to flash, the mpeg2 video was used as input. Several other
video formats may be used instead for input to the flash encoder. At
one stage of encoding, I am offered the option to remove or add audio
to the flash. In this case, I chose to keep the audio that came with
the video input. In other cases I chose to replace or add audio in the
mp3 format. There are many options given for building the swf
container portion of flash. Finally when you are finished encoding,
you get the output of a swf container file and a flv video file. The
exact steps in encoding the the flv/swf depend on the encoder used and
can differ considerably for different encoders.

Toby A Inkster

Neredbojias said:
Maybe on the server the swf is looking at the actual _root_, not your
site's hypothetical "root folder". Try replacing the_song.mp3 with an
absolute url.

The SWF runs on the client, not the server. The client has no idea about
what the server's filesystem is like.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 18 days, 20:27.]

Ham vs Bacon vs Pork
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/01/17/pork-etc/

Toby A Inkster

Steph said:
Can someone explain me why ?

1. Visit the page and observe that there is no sound.

2. Look up the error log for your web server.

3. In the error log you should find some failed requests for the MP3. If
you do not, then it means the MP3 is probably not being requested from
your server at all.

4. Look at the requested path for the MP3. Does it exactly match the
actual path for the MP3?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 18 days, 20:30.]

Ham vs Bacon vs Pork
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/01/17/pork-etc/

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:15:08 GMT
Toby A Inkster scribed:
The SWF runs on the client, not the server. The client has no idea about
what the server's filesystem is like.

Well of course, but files must still be addressed correctly to be
downloaded/streamed.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:01:13
GMT Steph scribed:
That was the case, it works with the absolute URL.
Many thanks !

You're welcome, and good luck with the site.

Travis Newbury

That was the case, it works with the absolute URL.
Many thanks !

This wasn't a solution. It is a short term fix. You need to find
out what the real issue is and start using relative URLs