Problem to remove Assembly from GAC?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by owais, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. owais

    owais Guest

    I have problem to remove assembly from the GAC. I used both command line utility Gacutil.exe and Mscorcfg.msc but failed to remove

    When using Mscorcfg.msc to delete the selected assembly from the GAC it prompts me an erro

    "There was an error removing abc.dll

    When I try Gacutil.exe it gives me following erro

    C:\Application1\bin\Debug>gacutil /u abc.dl

    Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.57
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved

    No assemblies found that match: abc.dl

    Number of items uninstalled =
    Number of failures =

    Please help m

    Thank
    Owai

    ---
    Posted using Wimdows.net Newsgroups - http://www.wimdows.net/newsgroups/
    owais, Dec 3, 2003

  2. owais

    Miha Markic Guest

    Hi,

    You might go to gac folder itself -windows\assembly\gac (via command prompt)
    and delete the folder with the same name as your assembly.

    --
    Miha Markic - RightHand .NET consulting & software development
    miha at rthand com

    "owais" <> wrote in message
    > I have problem to remove assembly from the GAC. I used both command line

    utility Gacutil.exe and Mscorcfg.msc but failed to remove.

    > When using Mscorcfg.msc to delete the selected assembly from the GAC it

    prompts me an error

    Miha Markic, Dec 3, 2003

  3. >When I try Gacutil.exe it gives me following error

    >C:\Application1\bin\Debug>gacutil /u abc.dll

    Gacutil /u takes an assembly name, not the original file name. So you
    should use

    gacutil /u Abc

    Mattias

    --
    Mattias Sjögren [MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
    http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/
    Mattias Sjögren, Dec 3, 2003
  4. owais

    owais Guest

    when I try this it gives following error

    gacutil /u ABC

    Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.573
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

    Assembly: ABC, Version=1.0.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7825b
    dd9b5781189, Custom=null
    Unable to uninstall: assembly is required by one or more applications
    Pending references:
    SCHEME: <WINDOWS_INSTALLER> ID: <MSI> DESCRIPTION : <Windows Ins
    taller>

    Number of items uninstalled = 0
    Number of failures = 0

    Note: I Install assembly with gacutil /i abc.dll

    What should I do?

    Thanks a lot

    Regards

    Owais

    ---
    Posted using Wimdows.net Newsgroups - http://www.wimdows.net/newsgroups/
    owais, Dec 4, 2003
  5. owais

    owais Guest

    Thanks a lot for all your help.
    But I still fail to uninstall the assembly from GAC.

    I try this it gives following error

    gacutil /u ABC

    Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.573
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

    Assembly: ABC, Version=1.0.1.1, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=7825b
    dd9b5781189, Custom=null
    Unable to uninstall: assembly is required by one or more applications
    Pending references:
    SCHEME: <WINDOWS_INSTALLER> ID: <MSI> DESCRIPTION :
    <Windows Ins
    taller>

    Number of items uninstalled = 0
    Number of failures = 0

    Note: I Install assembly with gacutil /i ABC.dll

    Also I try to uninstall Assembly from \Winnt\assembly folder from
    Windows
    Explorer
    it prompts me a message

    "Assembly 'ABC' could not be uninstalled because it is required by other

    application"

    I don't understand which program(s) requires my private assembly

    Thanks

    Regards
    Owais
    owais, Dec 5, 2003

  6. >What should I do?

    You're not the first one to see this, the problem is reported fairly
    often here. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I believe you can make
    it work by removing some Registry entry. If you search these groups on
    http://groups.google.com for the error message you should find a bunch
    of threads related to this problem.

    Mattias

    --
    Mattias Sjögren [MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
    http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/ | http://www.dotnetinterop.com
    Mattias Sjögren, Dec 5, 2003
  7. owais

    jason9364

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    I've had the problem and sorted it out (for me at least). Mine was happening when my installer included a calculated list of dependencies.

    if my A.dll depended on B.dll then the installer would install both A.dll and B.dll but it would was only uninstal A.dll. Trying to remove B.dll wouldn't happen without messing about in the registry.

    Basically - I always remove all the dependencies in my installers. If it has a dependency I want to install/uninstall then I add it explicitly rather than have it as a dependency - that seems to work.
    jason9364, Aug 20, 2010