Problem to remove Assembly from GAC?

owais

I have problem to remove assembly from the GAC. I used both command line utility Gacutil.exe and Mscorcfg.msc but failed to remove

When using Mscorcfg.msc to delete the selected assembly from the GAC it prompts me an erro

"There was an error removing abc.dll

When I try Gacutil.exe it gives me following erro

C:\Application1\bin\Debug>gacutil /u abc.dl

Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.57
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved

No assemblies found that match: abc.dl

Number of items uninstalled =
Number of failures =

Please help m

Thank
Owai

Miha Markic

Hi,

You might go to gac folder itself -windows\assembly\gac (via command prompt)
and delete the folder with the same name as your assembly.

--
Miha Markic - RightHand .NET consulting & software development
miha at rthand com

owais said:
I have problem to remove assembly from the GAC. I used both command line
utility Gacutil.exe and Mscorcfg.msc but failed to remove.

Mattias Sjögren

When I try Gacutil.exe it gives me following error

C:\Application1\bin\Debug>gacutil /u abc.dll

Gacutil /u takes an assembly name, not the original file name. So you
should use

gacutil /u Abc

Mattias

owais

when I try this it gives following error

gacutil /u ABC

Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.573
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

Assembly: ABC, Version=1.0.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7825b
dd9b5781189, Custom=null
Unable to uninstall: assembly is required by one or more applications
Pending references:
SCHEME: <WINDOWS_INSTALLER> ID: <MSI> DESCRIPTION : <Windows Ins
taller>

Number of items uninstalled = 0
Number of failures = 0

Note: I Install assembly with gacutil /i abc.dll

What should I do?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Owais

owais

Thanks a lot for all your help.
But I still fail to uninstall the assembly from GAC.

I try this it gives following error

gacutil /u ABC

Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 1.1.4322.573
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

Assembly: ABC, Version=1.0.1.1, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=7825b
dd9b5781189, Custom=null
Unable to uninstall: assembly is required by one or more applications
Pending references:
SCHEME: <WINDOWS_INSTALLER> ID: <MSI> DESCRIPTION :
<Windows Ins
taller>

Number of items uninstalled = 0
Number of failures = 0

Note: I Install assembly with gacutil /i ABC.dll

Also I try to uninstall Assembly from \Winnt\assembly folder from
Windows
Explorer
it prompts me a message

"Assembly 'ABC' could not be uninstalled because it is required by other

application"

I don't understand which program(s) requires my private assembly

Thanks

Regards
Owais

Mattias Sjögren

What should I do?

You're not the first one to see this, the problem is reported fairly
often here. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I believe you can make
it work by removing some Registry entry. If you search these groups on
http://groups.google.com for the error message you should find a bunch
of threads related to this problem.

Mattias

Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I've had the problem and sorted it out (for me at least). Mine was happening when my installer included a calculated list of dependencies.

if my A.dll depended on B.dll then the installer would install both A.dll and B.dll but it would was only uninstal A.dll. Trying to remove B.dll wouldn't happen without messing about in the registry.

Basically - I always remove all the dependencies in my installers. If it has a dependency I want to install/uninstall then I add it explicitly rather than have it as a dependency - that seems to work.