Problem using a FormView with an HTML table in Edit/Insert templat

Guest

Hi, I have a problem with bindings in a formview.
I have a formview; in the insert template i've created a wizard control and
inside
it i have an HTML table with some textboxes bound to the sqldatasource of
the
formview.
If i put this textboxes outside the table everything works well, but as soon
as i put them inside the table (in order to organize the layout in the right
way)
they doesn't work. They works only as eval() and not bind() and so when i
perform the saveclick i have only null values. I think this is a bug of
visualstudio2005 because when i drag those textboxes outside the table thy
are again bound to the sqldatasource and the save method works in the right
way and i have no more null values.
I've found the same problem also with a simple formview with a panel and a
table in the insert or edit template.

Please help me because i don't know how to proceed!

Best Regards

Guest

Lorenzino,

Please post a bit of your code so we can review your code.
I use tables in a formview to manage the layout and it works fine with me.

Guest

Hi Dustin,
thanks for your interest!
Posting you some code it's quite difficult because the FormView is inserted
in a complex module in a ASPNET-pages-portal-framework and will not work
standalone. I can explain you an easy way to simulate the problem:
create a FormView in a common ASP.NET page that has a simple SqlDataSource
mapped on a simple DB table (with Insert/Update/Delete capabilities). Then
insert a Wizard ASP.NET control and put some autogenerated TextBox of the
FormView Edit template field in it (i.e. 2 textbox on each wizard step). If
you try now your solution it'll work fine (in Edit you can use the wizard to
collect user input). Then put an HTML table in one wizard step to organize
the layout of the wizard step (i.e. a 2 columns table: 1° column label of the
field, 2° column textbox to collect the user entry). If now you restart your
solution you'll notice that the formview stops to work in the right way (it's
unable to bind the textbox with the parameter of the SqlDataSource)
Thanks

Lorenzino

Guest

Lorenzino,

Your welcome. I tried to reproduce the problem you describe, but I can't. It
still works:

<asp:Wizard ID="Wizard1" runat="server" Width="237px">
<WizardSteps>
<asp:WizardStep runat="server" Title="Step 1">
<asp:FormView ID="FormView1" runat="server" DataKeyNames="ProductID"
DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"
OnModeChanged="FormView1_ModeChanged"
OnPreRender="FormView1_PreRender">
<EditItemTemplate>
ProductName:
<asp:TextBox ID="ProductNameTextBox" runat="server"
Text='<%# Bind("ProductName") %>'>
</asp:TextBox></td>
etc.

Is this piece of code above simular to what you describe, of do I
misunderstand? Maybe you can still post a part of your aspx like the code
above to further explain your situation?

Guest

Hi Dustin,
probably i was not clear in my description: the problem is to insert a
Wizard in a FormView not the FormView in the WizardStep

lorenzo

Guest

In the link you sent me i read it would be fixed in the final release... i'm
using the last version of VS but the is still there with the wizard control
:(
Do I have to report the bug?

Thanks for your help

Lore

Guest

Hi Lorenzino,

I validated the existince of the bug in VS 2005, but I don't know Microsoft
get's a call of this. Maybe it's wise to report it again.

Good luck.