Problem using a UNC Path within a COM component in asp.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bill Tinker, Jun 19, 2008.

  1. Bill Tinker

    Bill Tinker Guest

    Hi

    I would appreciate any help that would shed some light on this problem...

    I have a com dll that is an API to another application. The initialize
    routine of the object requires the path where the data files are located, to
    be passed in as a parameter. This works fine when the data folder in on the
    same machine running the aspx page. However, if the path is in the form of a
    UNC (eg. \\FS01\ProjectData) the object fails with an Invalid Directory
    message.

    If the application is run directly from Visual Studio, the UNC path works.
    However, the same code running under IIS fails.

    I've tried granting IUSR_MACHINE permissions to the dll, without success.
    Any .Net code within the application can access the data using the UNC path
    ok - it's just this com object that seems to have a problem.

    Thanks
    Bill
    Bill Tinker, Jun 19, 2008

  2. On Jun 19, 11:10 pm, "Bill Tinker" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I would appreciate any help that would shed some light on this problem...
    >
    > I have a com dll that is an API to another application. The initialize
    > routine of the object requires the path where the data files are located, to
    > be passed in as a parameter. This works fine when the data folder in on the
    > same machine running the aspx page. However, if the path is in the form of a
    > UNC (eg. \\FS01\ProjectData) the object fails with an Invalid Directory
    > message.
    >
    > If the application is run directly from Visual Studio, the UNC path works..
    > However, the same code running under IIS fails.

    I think it works using your user account and fails using the webserver
    account.
    You can check it by changing the account in the Identity properties of
    the COM+

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 20, 2008