Problem using a UNC Path within a COM component in asp.net

Bill Tinker

Hi

I would appreciate any help that would shed some light on this problem...

I have a com dll that is an API to another application. The initialize
routine of the object requires the path where the data files are located, to
be passed in as a parameter. This works fine when the data folder in on the
same machine running the aspx page. However, if the path is in the form of a
UNC (eg. \\FS01\ProjectData) the object fails with an Invalid Directory
message.

If the application is run directly from Visual Studio, the UNC path works.
However, the same code running under IIS fails.

I've tried granting IUSR_MACHINE permissions to the dll, without success.
Any .Net code within the application can access the data using the UNC path
ok - it's just this com object that seems to have a problem.

Thanks
Bill

Guest

Hi

I would appreciate any help that would shed some light on this problem...

I have a com dll that is an API to another application. The initialize
routine of the object requires the path where the data files are located, to
be passed in as a parameter. This works fine when the data folder in on the
same machine running the aspx page. However, if the path is in the form of a
UNC (eg. \\FS01\ProjectData) the object fails with an Invalid Directory
message.

If the application is run directly from Visual Studio, the UNC path works..
However, the same code running under IIS fails.

I think it works using your user account and fails using the webserver
account.
You can check it by changing the account in the Identity properties of
the COM+