Problem using ActiveState PPM to install module

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Irwin Friedman, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. I'm a newbie and can't find any clues in the FAQ's I've searched through.
    I'm trying to use ActiveState Perl PPM to install a module (DBI) but I can't
    get very far. I get the following results:

    C:\Perl>ppm
    PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
    Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState SRL. All Rights Reserved.

    Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Stub as readline
    library.

    Type 'help' to get started.

    ppm> install DBI
    Error: can't create temporary directory 'C:\/DBI-1-1799127-1062887644':
    Permission denied
    ppm>

    I'm running Win98SE. I think the problem is the forward slash in the
    directory name, but how do I get past that? Can someone point me in the
    right direction?
    Thanks,
    Irwin Friedman
    Irwin Friedman, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Irwin Friedman

    John Bokma Guest

    Irwin Friedman wrote:

    > C:\Perl>ppm
    > PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
    > Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState SRL. All Rights Reserved.
    >
    > Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Stub as readline
    > library.
    >
    > Type 'help' to get started.
    >
    > ppm> install DBI
    > Error: can't create temporary directory 'C:\/DBI-1-1799127-1062887644':
    > Permission denied
    > ppm>

    settings tempdir C:\tmp

    not tested.

    settings tempdir

    gives the current one.

    Just found out by using the useful hint:

    Type 'help' to get started.

    --
    Kind regards, feel free to mail: mail(at)johnbokma.com (or reply)
    virtual home: http://johnbokma.com/ ICQ: 218175426
    John Bokma, Sep 6, 2003