problem using impersonation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Thomas, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Hi all!

    I have an asp.net web application that is configured for dynamic
    impersonation via web.config (identity impersonate=true). The corresponding
    virtual directory is protected by integrated windows authentication via IIS.

    Some pages within my web application access a MS SQL Server database hosted
    on a separate server. The database connection string is set to use a trusted
    connection. Now the problem is, that sometimes the user's context is not
    passed to the SQL server - in this case, I receive the following error
    message: "Login for user (null) failed, not associated with a trusted
    connection". The problem only occurs for some users, for the majorty of the
    users there are no problems.

    What might be the problem? In Active Directory, the servers are set to
    "trusted for delegation", the web server runs IIS 6 on a Win2003 Server.

    Thanks in advance

    Thomas
    Thomas, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Thomas

    L. L. Guest

    Check your SQL server to see if those users with login problems exist in the
    database.

    Lenny

    L. L., Oct 24, 2003

  3. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    "L. L." <> wrote in message
    > Check your SQL server to see if those users with login problems exist in

    the
    > database.
    >
    > Lenny

    In my database I only have user groups and roles for these groups. The
    affected users are members of the appropriate groups.

    Thomas

    Thomas, Oct 24, 2003
  4. Thomas

    L. L. Guest

    I am sure that it is SQL Server is denying those affected users. Maybe those
    users belong to more than one groups or assigned to more than one roles And
    if the database denies any one of the groups or any one of the roles does
    not have the access to the db then it will fail on the connection.

    L.L.

    L. L., Oct 27, 2003
  5. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    "L. L." <> wrote in message
    > I am sure that it is SQL Server is denying those affected users. Maybe

    those
    > users belong to more than one groups or assigned to more than one roles

    And
    > if the database denies any one of the groups or any one of the roles does
    > not have the access to the db then it will fail on the connection.
    >
    > L.L.

    Currently I think it's a delegation problem - the affected users cannot
    connect from a specific computer while it works from another one. And for
    95% of the users it works perfectly, although there are some users among
    them that are part of the same groups as the affected ones. That's why I
    think it's not a role or group problem.

    Thomas

    Thomas, Oct 27, 2003