Problem using 'include directive' in ASP

*** HAWK

I have been creating an ASP site using Dreamweaver MX.
I have 2 ASP files, these are "index.asp" and "backend.asp"
The "backend.asp" contains all of the relevant code needed to connect to the
database ("cdshop.mdb").
While I intend the "index.asp" to be the main page that is viewed by the
visitor - this will include all the SQL statements.

When I use the following code "<!--#include file="backend.asp"-->" in the
"index.asp" It removes all the formatting in the document (i.e tables &
cells) in the Dreamweaver 'design view'.

If I attempt to do anything in the 'design view' Dreamweaver returns the
following error:
"Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template
or a translator. The change will be discarded.

Can anyone explain why I am getting this error???
Thanks

P.S I am not using any templates so cannot understand this error.

William Morris

To Macromedia, who also owns Cold Fusion, EVERYTHING with code in it is a
"template". In Homesite and Cold Fusion the design tab should be disabled
if there's anything in the page other than HTML - Codesweeper can really
muck up ASP code (my language of choice). I would guess the same applies to
Dreamweaver, though YMMV.

- Wm

*** HAWK

Anyone else have any idea why I get this error & for what reason it alters
all of my table formatting?
This is really frustrating :-(

*** HAWK

Cheers guys. fixed the problem - had to remove the head, body and html tags
in the 'backend.asp' file.
Cheers Bob -did wat u said. some guy in the macromedia forum figured it out
:)