Problem using SQL 2005 Reporting Services & asp.net app

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Blasting Cap, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. Blasting Cap

    Blasting Cap Guest

    I'm using VS 2005, SQL 2005 reporting services.

    SQL reporting services is working, and I have it both on my local
    computer, as well as on a server.

    I've created a report in the SQL Business Intelligence development
    studio that works in that environment.

    I've uploaded the same report to both the Reporting services on my local
    computer as well as the server, and can log in to them and run the
    report there.

    In VS 2005, in a test application that otherwise functions, I brought in
    a Reportviewer from the toolbar, and added the report to it.

    The reportServerUrl is:

    http://mylocalcomputer/reports$sql2005

    (I have both sql 2000 and sql 2005 on this local box).

    The report path is:

    J4 Report/J4 Detail Report

    When I try to run it, I get:

    The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your
    connection information and that the report server is a compatible version.
    The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.

    When I change the server name to the other one, I get the same message.

    However, when I go into SQL Server Reporting services, to this link:

    http://myserver/Reports$SQL2005/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2fJ4+reports%2fJ4+Detail+Report

    The report displays fine.

    When I go to my local computer & sql reporting services, to this link:

    http://mylocalcomputer/Reports$SQL2005/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2fJ4+Reports%2fJ4+Detail+Report

    I'm not using Localhost either in the VS 2005 app (in the properties for
    the report viewer), but I am calling it (the web app itself where I'm
    trying to call the report viewer from) thru localhost there.

    http://localhost:2228/testjob/default.aspx

    I'm calling other things (not report viewers) on this page that appear
    to work.

    I've seen some notes regarding this error, and that there is a lot of
    registry hacks and config file updates you have to make for it, but not
    sure if that's a true fix for the problem.

    Anyone have any idea why SQL Reporting Services displays it fine, and
    the report viewer - which is supposedly calling the same thing, doesn't?

    BC

    Blasting Cap, Jul 27, 2007

  2. Blasting Cap

    EMartinez Guest

    On Jul 27, 9:16 am, Blasting Cap <> wrote:
    > I'm using VS 2005, SQL 2005 reporting services.
    >
    > SQL reporting services is working, and I have it both on my local
    > computer, as well as on a server.
    >
    > I've created a report in the SQL Business Intelligence development
    > studio that works in that environment.
    >
    > I've uploaded the same report to both the Reporting services on my local
    > computer as well as the server, and can log in to them and run the
    > report there.
    >
    > In VS 2005, in a test application that otherwise functions, I brought in
    > a Reportviewer from the toolbar, and added the report to it.
    >
    > The reportServerUrl is:
    >
    > http://mylocalcomputer/reports$sql2005
    >
    > (I have both sql 2000 and sql 2005 on this local box).
    >
    > The report path is:
    >
    > J4 Report/J4 Detail Report
    >
    > When I try to run it, I get:
    >
    > The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your
    > connection information and that the report server is a compatible version.
    > The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
    >
    > When I change the server name to the other one, I get the same message.
    >
    > However, when I go into SQL Server Reporting services, to this link:
    >
    > http://myserver/Reports$SQL2005/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2fJ4+repo...
    >
    > The report displays fine.
    >
    > When I go to my local computer & sql reporting services, to this link:
    >
    > http://mylocalcomputer/Reports$SQL2005/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2f...
    >
    > I'm not using Localhost either in the VS 2005 app (in the properties for
    > the report viewer), but I am calling it (the web app itself where I'm
    > trying to call the report viewer from) thru localhost there.
    >
    > http://localhost:2228/testjob/default.aspx
    >
    > I'm calling other things (not report viewers) on this page that appear
    > to work.
    >
    > I've seen some notes regarding this error, and that there is a lot of
    > registry hacks and config file updates you have to make for it, but not
    > sure if that's a true fix for the problem.
    >
    > Anyone have any idea why SQL Reporting Services displays it fine, and
    > the report viewer - which is supposedly calling the same thing, doesn't?
    >
    > BC

    This might be a long shot, but you should check to see if the the
    virtual directories (ReportServer and Reports) in IIS are set to the
    correct .NET Framework (.NET 2.0) [via: right-click My Computer ->
    select Manage -> Services and Applications -> Internet Information
    Services -> Web Sites -> Default Web Site -> right-click the Reports/
    ReportServer virtual directories -> select Properties -> select the
    ASP.NET tab and verify that the ASP.NET version is 2.0.50727]. Hope
    this helps.

    Regards,

    Enrique Martinez
    Sr. Software Consultant

    EMartinez, Jul 28, 2007

  3. Connect to ReportServer instead of Reports...i.e.
    http://mylocalcomputer/ReportServer$sql2005

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=, Jul 30, 2007
  4. Blasting Cap

    Blasting Cap Guest

    Thank you.

    This appeared to work, although I had to put in a slash at the end of
    the http://mylocalcomputer/ReportServer$sql2005 line.

    However, now that I've gotten it to run, I have some unusual behavior -

    The "e" on Internet explorer at the top of the tab now flickers, like
    the page is reloading. It also runs the CPU up to 100% on the computer
    and although I can go from tab to tab in it (I am using AJAX tab panels
    in the page), it will take like up to a minute to go to the next tab.
    I'm not doing anything really data-intensive on those tabs, and they had
    been functioning fine prior to putting in the report viewer (i.e. they
    weren't flickering & clocking the CPU).

    I eventually have to kill the page to do anything, because it has the
    system up to 100%.

    Any idea why reportviewer might make this act this way?

    Thanks for the help,

    BC

    Blasting Cap, Jul 30, 2007