Problem using SQL 2005 Reporting Services & asp.net app

Blasting Cap

I'm using VS 2005, SQL 2005 reporting services.

SQL reporting services is working, and I have it both on my local
computer, as well as on a server.

I've created a report in the SQL Business Intelligence development
studio that works in that environment.

I've uploaded the same report to both the Reporting services on my local
computer as well as the server, and can log in to them and run the
report there.

In VS 2005, in a test application that otherwise functions, I brought in
a Reportviewer from the toolbar, and added the report to it.

The reportServerUrl is:

http://mylocalcomputer/reports$sql2005

(I have both sql 2000 and sql 2005 on this local box).

The report path is:

J4 Report/J4 Detail Report

When I try to run it, I get:

The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your
connection information and that the report server is a compatible version.
The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.

When I change the server name to the other one, I get the same message.

However, when I go into SQL Server Reporting services, to this link:

http://myserver/Reports$SQL2005/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=/J4+reports/J4+Detail+Report

The report displays fine.

When I go to my local computer & sql reporting services, to this link:

http://mylocalcomputer/Reports$SQL2005/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=/J4+Reports/J4+Detail+Report

I'm not using Localhost either in the VS 2005 app (in the properties for
the report viewer), but I am calling it (the web app itself where I'm
trying to call the report viewer from) thru localhost there.

http://localhost:2228/testjob/default.aspx

I'm calling other things (not report viewers) on this page that appear
to work.

I've seen some notes regarding this error, and that there is a lot of
registry hacks and config file updates you have to make for it, but not
sure if that's a true fix for the problem.

Anyone have any idea why SQL Reporting Services displays it fine, and
the report viewer - which is supposedly calling the same thing, doesn't?

BC

EMartinez

[...]

This might be a long shot, but you should check to see if the the
virtual directories (ReportServer and Reports) in IIS are set to the
correct .NET Framework (.NET 2.0) [via: right-click My Computer ->
select Manage -> Services and Applications -> Internet Information
Services -> Web Sites -> Default Web Site -> right-click the Reports/
ReportServer virtual directories -> select Properties -> select the
ASP.NET tab and verify that the ASP.NET version is 2.0.50727]. Hope
this helps.

Regards,

Enrique Martinez
Sr. Software Consultant

Blasting Cap

Thank you.

This appeared to work, although I had to put in a slash at the end of
the http://mylocalcomputer/ReportServer$sql2005 line.

However, now that I've gotten it to run, I have some unusual behavior -

The "e" on Internet explorer at the top of the tab now flickers, like
the page is reloading. It also runs the CPU up to 100% on the computer
and although I can go from tab to tab in it (I am using AJAX tab panels
in the page), it will take like up to a minute to go to the next tab.
I'm not doing anything really data-intensive on those tabs, and they had
been functioning fine prior to putting in the report viewer (i.e. they
weren't flickering & clocking the CPU).

I eventually have to kill the page to do anything, because it has the
system up to 100%.

Any idea why reportviewer might make this act this way?

Thanks for the help,

BC