Problem w/ code - updating an existing XML file

slinky

I have an aspx for with a textbox and a button. The goal is to simply
have the user type a message, hit the button and it should append to
the XML file. I can open the aspx in the browser with no problem, but
the XML file does not get updated. What's wrong with this code?
Thanks!

<script runat="server">
Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
If Not IsPostBack Then
Dim ds As New DataSet()
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
txtNewEvent.DataBind()
ds.Dispose()
End If
End Sub

Private Sub btnSubmit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubmit.Click
Dim ds As New DataSet()
Try
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
ds.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Event") = txtNewEvent.Text
ds.WriteXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
Catch
Finally
ds.Dispose()
End Try
End Sub
</script>

Guest

I have an aspx for with a textbox and a button. The goal is to simply
have the user type a message, hit the button and it should append to
the XML file. I can open the aspx in the browser with no problem, but
the XML file does not get updated. What's wrong with this code?
Thanks!

Try to remove Try...Catch...Finally...End Try block

It should give you an error.

slinky

I commented out this:

'Try
'ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
'ds.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Event") = txtNewEvent.Text
' ds.WriteXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
' Catch
' Finally
'ds.Dispose()
' End Try

But I see no errors in the error list and I can still display the page
in the browser, both controls, no errors, but no updating of course to
the XML file... so the basic logic in my code must have a major flaw
(?)

Guest

I commented out this:

'Try
'ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
'ds.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Event") = txtNewEvent.Text
' ds.WriteXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
' Catch
' Finally
'ds.Dispose()
' End Try

But I see no errors in the error list and I can still display the page
in the browser, both controls, no errors, but no updating of course to
the XML file... so the basic logic in my code must have a major flaw
(?)

<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<script language="vb" runat="server">
Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
If Not IsPostBack Then
Dim ds As New DataSet()
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
'txtNewEvent.DataBind()
ds.Dispose()
End If
End Sub

Private Sub btnSubmit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubmit.Click
Dim ds As New DataSet()
'Try
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
ds.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Event") = "it works"
ds.WriteXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
'Catch
'Finally
ds.Dispose()
'End Try
End Sub

</script>
<form id=form1 runat=server>
<asp:button id="btnSubmit" runat="server" text="Button" />
</form>

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<xml>
<DataObjects>