Problem w/Tkinter on 2.5 (Panther)

w chun

i've built a Python 2.5a0 interpreter on my iBook using gcc 3.3-1666
using the tarball from last nite...

$ uname -a
Darwin myMac.local 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
Macintosh powerpc
$
$ python
Python 2.5a0 (trunk, Mar 28 2006, 02:53:21)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
it has a particular symptom with Tkinter where if i run the
interactive interpreter, "import Tkinter", etc., things work great...
i can bring up and create Tk objects which work as expected using
XDarwin 1.3.0/XFree86 4.4.0, BUT when i try to run anything as a
script, even the 1-liner: "import _tkinter", it bombs out with a Bus
Error. here is the output in GDB:

$ gdb /usr/local/bin/python2.5
GNU gdb 5.3-20030128 (Apple version gdb-330.1) (Fri Jul 16 21:42:28 GMT 2004)
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "powerpc-apple-darwin".
Reading symbols for shared libraries .. done
(gdb) set args tk-test.py
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/python2.5 tk-test.py
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
0x901c5118 in __CFStringCreateImmutableFunnel3 ()
(gdb)

has anyone else seen this error before? the script (obviously) works
using earlier versions of Python. i have Tcl/Tk 8.4 on my system and
have T{CL,K}_LIBRARY pointed at the right place(s) when i built my 2.5
interpreter.

thanks,
-wesley
http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com

Russell E. Owen

I don't know, and I'm sorry this isn't more helpful, but...if you don't
get an answer here, I suggest you post to the python apple mailing list.
If you prefer a newsgroup interface (as I do), use gmane's news server
and subscribe to gmane.comp.python.apple (you may still have to join the
mailing list to post -- I'm not sure -- but if so, you can disable mail
delivery).

-- Russell